chapter 3

after school on friday, star convinced marco to walk home instead of taking the bus because she wanted to enjoy the sunset longer than usual

Star Butterfly POV
we're half way till home, the first couple months I called it the "Diaz Household" but after half a year I'm more comfortable using the home word. Marco found two rocks and a caterpillar on the brick bench in school. So he's made walls from rock for the little guy.
"do you even know what your wearing?" I asked him while he lightly touched the caterpillar's head
"the dressing situation is usually a bigger problem for the girls" he replied "us guy's just wear a suit"
I bumped his shoulder "ooooh mister marco-roni and cheese is gonna be all fancy"
"yeah yeah" he bumped me back and smiled. I don't know if it was the sunsets colors, but his cheeks were more rosy that usual,
We approached the house after 7 minutes. Marco swung the door open and I ran upstairs while throwing my backpack to the side of the living room. I think I knocked over the fake fruit plate on the coffee table. Oh well!
I shut the door behind me and ran to my closet. as far as the eyes can see: traditional mewni dresses galore. But I'm on earth. Not my home dimension, gotta dress nice. ya know?
My wand is still in the box, I hesitate to use it for my hair. But earth girls don't use magical sticks for curling their locks. I let it be, and use some auto curling spray my mom used.
I slip on a longish blue dress with faded sleeves. I also use some pearl earrings and take my headband out. nice.

Marco Diaz POV
star usually only takes a few minutes to get ready, just like when she went to the blood moon ball. I take star's backpack that's been thrown across the room and hook it up, along with putting the fruits back in the bowl on top of the table.
I carry my bag upstairs past star's room and into mine. throwing the bag on my bed, I open my closet to find my regular joe suit at the back, all ironed by mom.
I put it on and go into the bathroom to comb my hair out a bit. I try to find my brush but it's probably been swallowed somewhere on the other side of the counter where star's stuff is.
I go downstairs and eat a cold pancake from that morning, most of the stuff in the fridge was saved for dad.
I heard a door close upstairs, and no heels click. Star wasn't a high heel kind of girl, she told me on mewni she only wore flats when she was the princess, no arguments about it.
when star walks down the stairs, she wears this. Long blue dress with sleeves. wow. Her hair is curled and down. and it makes her eyes. stand out.
she jumps the second step down and lands in her heels, placing her hands on her hips and shifting to the left. star looks at me and raises one eyebrow "never seen the color blue before my friend?"
I stare at her "I've, um. amazing. I mean" my head shakes "I've never.. Seen you wear a long dress before!" I quickly spit out,
she laughs and picks up the sides of her dress "mewni colors and human lengths go great together" star said softly.

Star Butterfly POV
I looked at Marco up and down, he actually looked. really nice. he had a black suit on with an untied tie. I don't know if that's the style now, but either way it's good.
he started at me and recognized I was looking at his tie string. marco looked down "oh that" he quickly tied it and put his hands in his pocket, leaning of his left leg and looking at me. once again. either the sunset's colors are leaking in the house, or he's slightly blushing. I can't tell.
we left the house and took the school bus back to the prom. it was kinda weird to see everyone fancy in a smelly bus, even though the yelling continued like every morning from one ear to another. I sat at the back with hope while talking about how my dimensional scissors work. she seemed interested.
the bus finally got to the school. It was nice to see the colors from the sky hit the lockers since echo creek academy is an outside high school
I stood up from the back seat of the bus when it stopped. marco was sitting up by alfonzo, most of the girls wore semi high heels so they took their time off the bus. after everyone went I jumped off in my flats and found Marco in the crowd.
we all walked together to the gym and marco paid the tickets.
it was really nice inside! Pretty streamers and lots of chocolate. No nachos though.
they had tables on the sides all scattered out, purple balloons were tied down and the lights shined everywhere. there was a big platform at the top where the contestants for queen and king would go. And a long case where the crowns were! I started getting jumpy inside.
Marco slid next to me standing in the middle of the gym "better than that demon prom, huh?"
I turned my head "much"
Ferguson ran past me and Marco to the microphone on the platform with cards and no tie "this thing working?" he said through the mic
someone shot a thumbs up from the left and he nodded.
"olay, okay?' ferguson laughed "so basically I'm suppose to name the 3 who hold place for queen and king 1 hour prior till we announce the actual winners"
he squinted at the cards "so for prom queen we got: jackie.."
everyone clapped while Jackie waved from the corner
"...star..."
"..and Britney "
the room full of freshmen cheered. I smiled hard
fergeson adjusted himself "and now for King: Justin.."
"...brandon.."
"..and marco"
everyone clapped while someone whistled. then I felt a strong hold on my arm, pulling me back. Next thing I know I'm against a wall
"what did you do star?!"
it was Marco
I looked at him and shrugged "what do yoooou mean?" I said smiling
he raised one eyebrow "I didn't run for King. You can only have a chance at being King if you sign. a. paper." He said "what did you do"

Marco Diaz POV
star made that "okay I confess but in a really fast way so you don't catch the details" kinda of face. And that's exactly what she did.
"okay so maybe I filled out the flyer for you to be nominated King and committed  voters fraud so you could be a runner up BUT because you've helped me so much through everything and" she let out a breath and took a deep one "if Jackie wins queen and you win King you get to ride on that swan thingy for a whole month together to classes because that's the prize for the winners..?" she awkwardly smiled.
I'm about to cross her until I realize the last part of her sentences
"wait" I shook my head "I thought you wanted to be queen."
she sighed "I do! with all my heart.. I mean" she pointed to her cheeks "hearts"
star scratched her arms "but you've been crushing on this girl for 10 years and you haven't even made one move! sure a transportation to classes won't do much. But you'll both be together!" She smiled
I look at her eyes, her smile, her hair. the dress she wears. And her earnings. I really look at her.  this girl doesn't stop giving.
I hug her, I try not to mess up her dress, but I honestly can't help it.
she wraps her hands around my chest and squeezes me before we let go.

Star Butterfly POV
the hour went by quick. They played songs I never heard of, and everyone was jumping and dancing. someone brought popcorn so that went down. it was a great! Until Ferguson made his way up the platform with two envelopes.
"hello echo creek freshmen!" he coughed on the mic "so we've had s blast this past hour, but now we've got some queen and kings to announce"
I've never felt my stomach turn upside down so quickly. I turned my head back to marco where he was with Alfonzo
"Our prom queen is.."  He opened the envelope slowly to tick off everyone, but he finally pulled the card out.
"star butterfly!" He exclaimed
I literally sprang from the floor to the platform. my head was bursting with excitement! I saw Britney stomp through the gym doors into the night while ferg placed the crown on me. "a crown for a queen" he smiled
I'm the queen? It's actually happening!! not literally, but I can't wait to show my mom my capability. I can finally prove I'm worth better than a princess!!
Ferguson placed the broken envelope on the floor and opened the king one "and the King is.."
Ferguson gasped "mY BRO MARCO" he pounded his fists in the air
Marco didn't move.

Marco Diaz POV
I can't. Breathe? is this real life? was is a dream? Apparently not became Alfonzo patted me on the back to go up there.
I stood up and walked to the platform next to star. She smiled so big I couldn't even see her hearts. Ferguson put the crown on my head while everyone cheered for me and star.
I turned my head to her wearing the crown. she is someday gonna be the queen of an entire dimension. This girl, my best friend, is basically going to be the president of her earth on mewni. I can't believe it.
star scooted to me and nudged my shoulder "we get to ride a swan for a month"
ah yes, the swan.
after we got down from the platform, they played several songs to crazily dance to till the prom was over. me and star tried to keep our crowns on show jumping around together.
everyone left the building exhausted, but with memories of a good time. my mom picked us up and asked about how it was, obviously star was the one to tell all the details.

Star Butterfly POV
When we entered the house, mr. diaz was on the couch watching a movie, mrs. diaz joined in while me and marco dragged ourself to bed.
I literally climbed upstairs, clutching the railing. I've never been so tired in my life. when I about entered my room, marco put his hand on my shoulder
"thanks" he said softly,
I turned around "I'm sorry Jackie didn't win queen." My voiced trailed off.
but he laughed and said "if she did win, I'd probably be so stressed that whole month of sharing the swan vehicle." he then let a breath out "I'm glad you, got what you wanted."
then he walked to his room and shut the door.