1.

Elizabeta

Every tale starts with a legend.

Mine started with my father's abduction.

It was a rainy day; waves were clashing against the ship while the wind whipped my long brown hair in my sweaty face. I saw my father being thrown on the enemy's ship called 'Proteus' as we fought our ways through the attacking pirates. It was a bloody fight and chances were small to win it.

Living a pirate's life wasn't an easy one; especially living it as a woman. I was born on my father's ship, raised to act like a boy. He knew it would be hard for me as a girl to survive in this world and so my childhood consisted of swordsmanship and sailing.

My mother died during my childbirth and so my father was left alone to nurture me. The ship's crew wasn't amused as they learned of my existence, considering the beliefs they had about women being bad luck on a ship, although they warmed up to me. Most of them now see me as their own daughter or little sister.

I wasn't the only female on board as a young woman joined our crew a few years ago. She looked no older than me and lost her family. Homeless and desperate, she looked for someone to take her in. The only thing that remained with her was her name. Natalya. Upon seeing her, my father was reminded of me and accepted her.

My eyes focused on the scene before me.

"Eliza, we need to get out of here. The ship is lost," Someone called from behind me.

"We can't...!" I shouted.

The ship was violently shaken by the clashing waves; my screaming could barely be heard. I fell on the ground as someone pushed me down.

"Oh, what do we have here? What a lovely lady."

A big grin was plastered on his face; he wanted to grab me but failed as I jumped back to my feet and hit his face.

"You bloody wench! I am going to-"

My sword pierced his dark heart before he could finish his sentence. His lifeless body fell to the ground. Yes, I was a good swordswoman; mostly everyone underestimated me and was paying it with their life.

I wasn't a cold-hearted killer; I was a survivor. Rule number one on my father's ship: Never let anyone kill you without a fight. Meaning, if I had to be killed, I would rather fight and defend myself before I would be stabbed to death. One doesn't die without a battle. As a woman, you should not depend on others to safe you but trust yourself and believe in your skills.

That's what he always told me.

I looked back at the enemy ship whose crew held my father as a hostage.

"Father . . . ," I whispered.

"Eliza! Stop!" One of my crewmates screamed.

Something crushed on me the moment I turned around to answer him. All I could hear were some muffled voices and screams. Seconds went by as I lost my consciousness.