Chapter 21: A Sweet Goodbye and A Beautiful Beginning

-Destiny-

There is something about hospitals that unnerves me. The cleanliness of the place, the prayers being said in the chapel, the cries of a relative who lost their loved one and the joy of the new parents who welcomes their newborn child into the world. The beeping sounds of the monitors has been my companion for 3 days now. Since I've arrived back, my dad has been sleeping. The doctor said he'll be sleeping most of his time now and I've stayed by his side waiting for him to wake up but also readying myself if he never opens his eyes again. I watch my dad breathe in and out shallowly, his chest rising and falling in a normal pace. I lay my head on the side of the bed and before I know it, I'm deep in my sleep.

"Destiny. Wake up." I hear a frail voice within my dream and notice someone is shaking me lightly. I open my eyes and look up to see my dad smiling at me as he withdraws his hand from my shoulder. "When have you gotten back?" He asks as I sit straighter.

"Hey dad." I smile at him. "3 days ago." I tell him and he nods."Why didn't you tell me?" I ask him, my tears slowly brimming on the corner of my eyes. "Why did you stop the medication and not tell me about it?" He smiles sadly at me.

"I'm sorry. I know I should have told you." He says tilting his head to the side. "I just didn't want you to worry about me. You're still so young and full of life. I don't want you to waste it watching over your old man." He explains as my tears flow down my cheeks.

"That's not fair dad. Of course I'm going to look after you. You're my father." I tell him wiping the tears away. "It's not fair for you to decide on stopping the medication without telling me."

"I know. I just didn't want you to come rushing back home. I wanted you to spend time with your mother and brother." He tells me taking hold of my hand. "How was your vacation?" My dad is the master of subject change. "Did you enjoy yourself?"

"Unexpectedly I did." I tell him accepting his wish to change the subject to a lighter one. "California has changed since the last time I went there. More people and more stores." I tell him and he listens.

"Did you meet with Ken? He called me asking if you were really in California." He asks watching me intently.

"Yeah I did. He called me early in the morning and we hang out. He was busy helping his dad though so I didn't get to be stuck with him for the entire vacation." My dad laughs.

"He's a good boy." He admits smiling. "How's your mom and Jeff?" I look down at my hands thinking of what to say to him before looking back.

"They're both okay. Well you know that mom and I did have a mother-daughter bonding time. And you were right dad, she's the most beautiful bride anyone has seen, I just wished you were the one standing at the end of the aisle." I confess to him which he smiles sadly.

"Destiny, I did once stand at the end of the aisle watching your mom walk towards me." He says probably recalling his wedding day. "How are you and Jeff? I was hoping you had set aside your differences." I grimace at that getting an eyebrow raised from him.

"Jeff and I might have left on a sour note." I pause before explaining. "He accused me of stealing his girlfriend. He found out about his real identity and then he hated me for leaving the wedding during the reception." Dad sighs after I explain to him what has happened.

"And did you steal his girlfriend?" He asks making me shake my head no quickly. "Why do I sense that you might have left something in California." This is more of a statement than a question. I smile sadly as I remember her blue eyes and auburn hair.

"I might have left my heart there." I tell him honestly and I see my dad's brown eyes shine with curiosity.

"Did you fall in love with Jeff's girlfriend?" He asks and I can't help but chuckle.