Chapter 16: Decisions are Made

Ella looks at me with confusion in her eyes. She doesn't really know why I'm asking her such question. 

"Sam told me she'd be going to your mom's place to help out." Her brows furrow as she thinks of it.

"Ella" I start waiting to get her full attention. "Sam did go to mom's house but when she got there, someone from her past decided to appear and she stormed away." I continue but Ella's face scrunches up even more. "Your ex husband." When I say that, her face dawns with realization before turning pale with fear.

"Cole? But why would he look for Sam when he never wanted to do anything with her before?" She says this but mostly to herself. "What did he say to her?" I can hear her voice crack as she probably worries about her daughter.

"Just that he made some mistake back then and he wanted to talk to Sam alone but Sam didn't want to so I asked him to leave before I call security." I need to know whether or not Ella knows any place Sam might go to relax or clear her head and I didn't want to waste any time. "Ella, I need to know if you have any idea where Sam might go every time she decides to clear her head." She seems to sense the hastiness in my voice as she looks at me.

"I'm not really a good mother to Sam but I know she likes to be in some quiet place outdoors." That was all I need before I run back to my car and drive to where I hope is the place she's talking about. I park the car rather badly as I run out of it. Normally I would only see this in movies where people would sit on the hood of their cars over the cliff, watching the city below. As I walk to the top, I can see the familiar auburn colored hair before seeing her entirely, sitting on the hood of her car. I let out a breath of relief as I continue to approach her. She seems to be occupied with her thoughts as she keep her eyes forward but I can tell her eyes are blankly looking at the busy streets of Hollywood. I stop just a few feet away from her not wanting to startle her with my presence.

"Sam." I call out softly and she turns her head so fast to where I am that I was scared she might get some whiplash. I study her for a minute, her eyes were red and puffy from all the crying she might have done, blue eyes still guarded as she regards me. "I should have known you'd be here. I kept calling you but you won't answer." I close the distance between us, just stopping when I reach her car. 

"I went to the studio to see if you'd hang around there but I didn't find you so I asked your mom." She just stays quiet as I explain this to her. It's unnerving having her blue eyes train solely on me.

"What are you doing here Destiny?" She asks although it seems like she's not interested at all.

"I came to check up on you. I shouldn't have let you drove off after that. I just didn't know what to do." I explain lamely and she just keep watching me. "Can I sit beside you?" I ask and after a few minutes, she nods making me smile a little as I take a seat next to her on the hood. "I know how you feel. We may have different situations but my mom still did walk out on me." I turn to look at her finding her looking at the city below with a blank stare. I reach out for her hand making her look at me. "I know your angry at him Sam. I would be too in fact I'm still angry at my mom."

"Clarice is trying to be your mother Des. That guy, he never looked back since he left. He never contacted me or even supported me. I don't see why you're still angry at your mom when she's trying." Sam says angrily. "You have any idea how it feels like to grow up without a father?" She stares right into my eyes. "You don't cause I'm sure your dad is amazing. Yeah your mom walked out on you but she came back and now she's trying to make things up with you." She looks back to the city and I see a tear escape her eyes. She pulls her hand away from mine as she rests them on her lap.

"Yeah I don't understand how it feels to grow up without a dad but I can still sympathize." I say as I overlook the city once again.

"I don't need sympathy. I just want to be alone." This is a different Sam. This is a girl who is angry at her dad.

"As much as I want to give you your space, I can't." I look at her to see her already staring at me. "Cause you didn't leave me when you should have." I take her hand again. "Also, I'm starting to fall for you Sam and I want you to know that Kate kissed me but I didn't kiss her back."

"You...you're starting to fall for me?" She asks as if she can't believe it. 

"What, you don't believe me?" I stand up and walk in front of her. I rest my hands on either side of hers, leaning on them as I look at her eyes.

"Kiss me." She whispers, her tone daring me to do what she says.

"So demanding." I whisper back as I slowly lean forward, a few more inches and I would feel her lips against mine but my phone rings shattering the moment. I groan internally as I take it out of my pocket to see my mom's name on the screen. "Mom." I say to her and listen to her telling me to go home. "I thought you said dinner." I try arguing but I can hear the urgent tone in her voice. "Okay mom, I understand. I'll be on my way." I put my phone back inside my pocket.

"You'll be owing me more kisses." Sam says to me making me look at her. I can see the Sam that I know resurfacing and I'm relieved she feels better. "I won't stop till I make you fall head over heels for me." She touches my cheek and give me that smile. "Go. Your mom is looking for you."

"Let's go together." I suggest but she shakes her head no.

"I have to do something first." She explains and all I could do is nod my consent. She leans in and kisses my cheek before letting me walk back to my car. As much as I don't want to leave Sam yet I had to comply with my mom's want to have me home for some announcement.
I arrive back at home to see mom waiting for me on the porch. I park my car in its usual place before climbing out of the vehicle and walking to my mom.

"Where have you been?" She asks gently probably no wanting to anger me.

"I was just out exploring. What is this announcement about mom?" I ask impatiently while looking down at my phone to see the time.

"Come everyone is waiting in the living room." She takes my hand and leads me inside the house. Sure enough Pierre, Jeff and Kate are sitting on the couch, noticing us walk in they all look in our direction. I suddenly have this bad feeling in my stomach. Mom leads me to sit on the other single couch while she sits beside Pierre.

"Okay I'm here." I say looking at my mom. She look at Pierre then back at me.

"I want you to take my family name after I marry your mom. Jeff has agreed to it and I was hoping you would be too." Pierre says and I frown at him.

"What?" Was all I can say as I scan their faces for any signs that they're not serious about it. "Let me get this straight. You want me to drop my dad's name so I can take yours?" I question them with controlled anger.

"I was hoping you'd stay here after graduation and if Pierre adopts you, we'll be a complete family." Mom voices out but my anger has taken over my mind. I give them a mirthless smile.

"I appreciate the offer but I would like to keep my dad's family name." I stand up not wanting to be a part of this conversation. "Pierre I don't mind you marrying my mom but do not try and take my dad's place in my life." I turn to my mom. "I wish you would recognize my dad's existence. He's alive and no one will take his place. Also, I'm flying back to Japan the moment this wedding is over." I tell them before walking out, ignoring my mom's calls.