Chapter Twenty-Three

Start from the beginning

Neither of them appeared to be pleased, and judging by the huge steps they took away from each other, they really did not like each other. Lucifer ignored it and turned to St. John, who gave him a bored stare as he dusted off his long white vest, then folded his arms over his chest.

"Menoetius's clothes and jewelry. Do you still have it?" He asked. St. John's face became eerily placid as he stared at Lucifer blankly.

"You'll have to forgive me if I don't feel like giving any of it back."

"He won't be getting any of it back," Lucifer assured, "But was that all that was found with his things? The clothes and jewelry." St. John's pink eyes flashed, and now clear irritation ceased his brow and made his lip curl back in repugnance.

"Don't mock me, Lucifer. You know better. You know everything that was recovered from him," he responded. Fed up with not getting an answer, Lucifer turned to Hades, who raised an eyebrow.

"Is this about my spell? I destroyed it, FYI. And this time, for real. The last thing I need is Zeus getting his hands on something else that could bring about the end of the universe," he explained, and his words made my world collapse even further. Now it really was lost for good. I don't know what made me think I could just steal it back from them. They wouldn't let that fall into the wrong hands ever again. It was a safe guard, and it was meant to save everyone.

Everyone, except me.

"Wait, the spell," Arikos said, confused, "The spell to kill a god?" Hades gave him a droll stare.

"Yes." Lucifer turned to me sternly.

"You brought that spell into my palace after spending over a month with Atlan," he stated. I didn't need to analyze what he said to understand what he meant. He was suggesting I'd brought the spell with me with the intent to use it on one of them. The idea was ludicrous, but I couldn't defend myself, didn't want to defend myself. I just gave him a flat stare, because it was really all I could manage.

"He didn't bring it for you," Arikos suddenly exclaimed angrily, pushing off the bed and Lucifer cut him a glare, "He didn't! Jeez, you gods have big heads. He brought it for himself." Hades snorted.

"That's stupid. He couldn't have used the spell on himself without destroying the entire universe."

"He probably thought it was the only way he could," Arikos caught himself before he said the word "die", then cleared his throat, "Atlan probably offered it to him if he joined his side. I'll bet you Menoetius found it in the spell book he used to save Akin and kept it for later, so he could use it on himself. Gods, I can't believe after he saved your son that you'd think for a second he'd try and kill you or Hades!" Lucifer frowned at him.

"It's a perfectly logical conclusion. What better way to tip the scales in this war than to kill one of the most powerful gods in existence? He's gunned for Hades before. It wouldn't surprise me if he'd do it again and I'd sooner have the Titan killed than have Hades harmed by that madman," he said defensively. Arikos looked like he was struggling to find words to express Lucifer's stupidity. Hades, on the other hand, had an easy time of it. Like he always did.

"Well, both of those reasons are dumb," Hades deadpanned, putting his hands on his hips, "The spell wouldn't have worked on Menoetius anyway. And also, Lucifer, shut up. I would've sensed an assassination plot two realms away. In case you've forgotten, my life is threatened on a daily basis." Lucifer appeared highly disturbed by that, and it only made Hades roll his eyes.

Meanwhile, I felt less and less like wanting to move. I felt heavier and heavier.

So in the end, Atlan had lied to me as well. It wouldn't have saved me. He would've watched me try and fail, then kept me with him for eternity, talking about all kinds of bullshit about loving me and how much he appreciated me and how great I was. There was never anything in it for me if I had joined Atlan, just like there was nothing in it for me now that I had chosen Hannibal over him.