Chapter 17

It's been two weeks since Sam started avoiding me.

Whenever I saw him on the bus he would ignore my fruitless attempts at starting a conversation. When I grab a seat next to him in the cafeteria he would get up and leave. Even when I see signs of bullying like a ripped shirt or broken glasses and try to help he would push me away.

I never found out the reason behind his absense that day, and as the days go by I'm starting to think I never will. 

But at least one good thing happened during the past two weeks: Jeremy made it on the football team! I knew that kid could run the minute he chased me with my glorious bag of cookies the first time we met. Every time he asked me to watch him during practice I had to come up with some lame excuse to leave just so I wouldn't lay eyes on him.

I've been avoiding him ever since he ditched me. He didn't even come up to apologize the next day, which was very pathetic. However, he did come up to my locker later to make sure we stick to our study schedule at Jelly Joe's.

"Are you freaking kidding me?" I seethed, slamming my locker door shut.

Nick narrowed his eyes, "What the hell's wrong with you today?" 

"You know what!" I waved my arms at his face.

"Stop it, Parker. You're making a scene." He kept his voice low as he looked around.

I scanned our surroundings and much to my dismay, he was right. People slowed their paces and became eerily silent as they passed by us. Sneaky eavesdroppers.

Deciding that dickface over here wasn't even worth my time, I walked away from him.

"Parker!" He called, but I never stopped. "Let me know when you're done PMSing."

Now I probably would've ignored him had he only said it between the two of us. But saying it across the hallway where several spectators could overhear us? That doesn't play well with my book.

"You know what?" I stopped in my tracks and turned around, "You are, and always will be, a selfish jerk." By then I was close enough to do what was intended: Slap him.

And slap him I did.

My moment of triumph vanished the moment his face fumed with rage and he started running after me. Outrunning Alicia was a piece of cake, but outrunning a football player was... not so easy.

"Oh shit oh shit oh shit oh shit oh shit OH SHIT!" My cries of help seemed fruitless as I sprinted down the halls, across the reception, out of the school, and around the campus.

What will become of me once he catches up? I ould already hear his footfalls hot on my trail.

Will my amputated body be sent to my parents for them to burry? Would they donate my parts for med students? Or will they burn me to ashes and keep me in a jar where they would always remember me? What if Grandma comes over and mistakes me for cinammon? Oh god, what if she sprinkles me over a pie? Will my family eat me once I'm dead?

Those cannibals!

Nick was gaining speed, and before I knew it, he caught up to me and slammed me against a wall.

"Mmph" I blurted once my back hardly hit the wall. "You wouldn't hit a girl!"

"Some courage you've got making a move like that in public." His lips curled and his eyebrows narrowed.

"Like your PMSing statement wasn't bad enough!" I spit my 'p' purposefully.

Nick brushed his face with his sleeve before retorting, "You seem to forget that I can easily expose your secret just as easily as I can rip that excuse you call a hoodie off your face." He then let go of me, "I don't know why I even gave you the chance."