Chapter 21: And I grinned like a Jackass

Start from the beginning

"Micha look." Timmy raised a hand to show me the colorful fire truck Band-Aid on his elbow.

"He fell." Dad explained. "Didn't even cry." The pride in his voice was unmistakable. I could already see that he was going to spoil Timmy rotten.

"That's so cool." I told Timmy. "Did poppy give you that?"

"Poppy give Timmy." He nodded, then held out his soldier again. "An poppy give Timmy gween."

"He gave you a green soldier?"

Timmy nodded.

"Did you tell him thanks?"

Another nod.

I retrieved the handkerchief from my back pocket and wiped his runny nose.

"You want to talk to me about last night?"

I looked at the chief. "You saw my report."

"What's he doing getting caught up in all this? You went out of your way to give him a place to stay and this is the way he repays you? Getting drunk with a bunch of criminals?"

"He was held at gun point dad, it's not like he had a choice in the matter."

"So he said."

"Yes and I believe him. When we got there they had a gun in his face. I know him and if he says he wasn't there of his own free will then he wasn't."

The chief straightened in his chair, his expression hard. "He's not as innocent as you think Michael. There's something about his story that just doesn't add up."

When Timmy began to wiggle in my arms, I set him down and watched him run from the room as fast as his little feet could take him. Ready to harass the other agents no doubt.

I turned back to the chief. "What doesn't add up?"

"There was a bag full of cash found on the scene."

I crossed my arms before me. "What does that have to do with anything?"

"Every last one of those delinquents are saying it belongs to Jason."

I shook my head. "Criminals lie dad. It's what they do. Why take the fall for another crime when they can pin in on the one person who's innocent?"

For a moment he only stared at me and finally nodded as though coming to a conclusion. His expression was grim.

"Let's see what he has to say about it then."

He pushed up from his chair and I stepped aside to allow him to exit through the door. A heartbeat later I followed. I spotted Timmy standing by a new agent's desk, chatting the man's ear off while the agent worked on what seemed to be reports piled high before him. 

When the kid spotted me, he retrieved the toy soldier from its perch on the guy's chair arm, grabbed Bunny from his spot beside the copier and stuffed it under his arm, then headed over to me where he took my outstretched hand. I led him across the room, around a corner then into a small room with a large glass screen, behind which Jason sat with his fingers locked together on the table before him.

"Daddy!" Timmy exclaimed when he saw him and I lifted him onto the table so he had a clear view of his father.

"Daddy can't see you right now, but we'll visit him soon okay?"

"Haf daddy now Micha?"

I nodded. "As soon as he's finished talking to those nice men."

Timmy looked at the window, then back at me. "No Micha. Timmy haf daddy now."