Chapter 6 - Katniss

Gale and Clove were in the hospital, Cato was literally inconsolable, and now Peeta was acting weird. My whole group of friends was crumbling around me, and I just needed a break. I can't handle everything, I know. I've tried, after Dad died, and it didn't turn out so well. I have to say I was relieved to walk into my English class and see absolutely none of my friends.

One person I did see was Gloss Harper. He was seated near the back, and smiled at me when I walked in. He actually waved me over, and I turned around to make sure he wasn't talking to someone behind me. No one was there, so I walked over to him, smiling, and set my books down on the desk next to his.

"Hey, Katniss. How's it going?"

"All right," I said, my automatic answer to that question. You could ask me how I was in the middle of the apocalypse, and I would reflexively say "all right."

"Good." He smiled again, a dazzling smile. It was contagious, apparently, because I found myself smiling too.

"Ready for second semester English?" he asked after a minute. "Cashmere said it was really hard, but then again, it was Cashmere. My sister's not the sharpest, if you know what I mean..."

I laughed. "Someones salty. What did she ever do to you?"

"We shared a bathroom through middle school, and her purple makeup phase. Once, she dropped all of it in the sink. The water ran purple for days."

"Sounds completely awful," I said, laughing again. "I hope Prim never has that phase..."

"Prim... Your sister?" Gloss guessed. "Blonde, always with braids, about this tall?" He held his hand up about four and a half feet off the floor.

"That's her. Little duck." I smiled. "She's a brat."

"Sisters always are. Brothers, too, I'm told. I don't believe it," he confided, grinning.

We were cut off by the teacher, announcing the quarter project. A book report over A Tale of Two Cities, and a creative presentation on the book. Stress on the creative part.

That wouldn't be too bad. If there was any fighting at all, I could probably do something with my old bow for the presentation. Of course, the book report would be ten pages of pure torture.

Then, he announced that we would be doing this project in pairs.

From the smart kids, like Finch, there was a collective groan. Gloss, however, turned to me immediately. "What'dya say, Kat? Partners?"

"Sounds great," I said, grinning. What was that weird feeling in my stomach? It felt a little like butterflies. I mentally reprimanded my stomach. I was busy talking to Gloss.

The teacher couldn't get order for the rest of class. We were all planning the presentation part of the projects. Marvel Drain announced that he'd give the people with the coolest project twenty bucks each, and the class went wild. I overheard the two girls in front of me planning how they would make the entire book into a two minute comedy skit. I'd heard it was about the French Revolution. So comedic.

Gloss and I couldn't come up with anything right off the bat. However, we agreed to meet after school sometime that week to think somewhere where it was quiet. That classroom was about as loud as Prim and Rue put together, and that's saying something.

After class, Gloss followed me to my locker as I got my books, and I returned the favor. We were talking about the latest movies that I hadn't seen when Madge walked up, smiling her polite smile. "Hey, Kat, I think I'm going to skip piano and go see Peeta. Wanna come?"

I started to nod, of course I wanted to see Peeta! However, I glanced at Gloss first, who looked concerned. "I heard Peeta left earlier," he said. "He's not sick, is he?"

Madge shrugged. "That's what I'm going to go see about. He's not answering his phone."

"I... Well, I'd love to go see him," I said slowly. "You know what? I think I will." I smiled at Madge, who smiled back at me.

Gloss put a hand on my arm before I could go anywhere. "Wait, Katniss, don't you think you should give him some space?"

"What's that-" Madge started to say, but I cut her off.

"That's true..." I did some quick thinking. Something was obviously wrong with Peeta. I knew I always worked pity my problems the best alone. Maybe we didn't need to bother him...

Gloss smiled, a dazzling smile. "Hey, listen, how about you come hang out with me today? Peeta'll be back tomorrow, I'm sure, and you can talk to him then."

I considered that for a second. He was probably fine, honestly. He'd work out whatever it was (probably Tyler had dared him to do it, now that I thought about it), and he'd be right as rain tomorrow. "That's a good idea, Gloss." I turned to Madge. "He was acting weird earlier; maybe we should just leave him alone right now..."

Madge sighed, obviously frustrated. "All right... I'll go by myself, then."

I shrugged. "See ya later."

"Bye."

Madge walked off, and I turned back to Gloss. "I hope that was the right thing..."

"Of course it was." Gloss smiled again. "Hey, want to go get some ice cream or something before we start on this project?"

"Sure!"

I made sure Prim had a ride home with Rue, then we left for Gloss's favorite ice cream shop, an expensive place near downtown that Mom would never dream of taking us to. We spent the rest of the afternoon talking and laughing and completely forgetting our project. I even managed to put Peeta, Clove, and Gale out of my mind. A good day.

~~~~

Sorry this took so long. I say that a lot, don't I? Anyway, I've been really kind of sick for a few days now, and Ry hasn't been answering my texts so I don't know.

Hope you liked this chapter! Vote and comment!

~Ellie and Ry