Chapter 15

A/N

WHOOOOOOO AN UPDATE!!

I'm finally done. 

Anyways, thanks for putting up with me and this story, I'm sure there will be an update sometime in the next ten years.

~Ringleader_Robin

(Kit)

------

When Dick finally came to, he realized with great displeasure that he was restrained on a hospital bed. Of course, not before trying to sit up five times and miserably failing each time before he came to conclusion. His thoughts felt bogged down and he struggled to get a firm grasp on what happened. He blinked a few times to get his eyes to adjust to his surroundings. A medical bay. Dick groaned softly, cursing at himself as he realized what had happened. He had let his guard down and now he got caught. Dick scowled and made a mental note about the next time he saw Jason, he was going to slug him right in his face.

"I see you are awake." A familiar voice came from the corner of the room.

Dick knew the voice, at that the owner of it was known for stealth, but he still mentally slapped himself for not seeing that he was there. "Bruce. " he spoke coolly, not wanting to show how betrayed he had felt. "Fancy seeing you here. Come by to drop off some flowers or a 'get well' card?" Dick turned his head to face the way the voice had come from, seeing a shadowed figure sitting in a chair.

"Dick--"

"Do not use that name around me. You know very well that it does not belong to me, so stop using it in my presence. " Dick frowned deeply. He knew very well that he would still answer to the name, even if the memories were not real, it was the only name that he ever knew.

"What do you want me to call you then? " Bruce stood up and walked over to his bedside.

Dick rolled his eyes. "I hear they call men without identities 'John Doe'. " Dick said sarcastically " It would not be so far off, my alleged father of memory was John Grayson, So I guess even in that case I could not run from the past. Figures right? Even now with all this drama in my life, I still have someone else's emotions towards someone else's family." He spoke sourly. He knew very well that Bruce was not the one at fault here, nor was it really his own...but it was bitter feeling and he was hell bent on making everyone else know how screwed up this whole ideal was. " So why are you here? We both know it is not out of the kindness of your heart."

Bruce fliched slightly at the others words, like he had just been stabbed right in the chest. "Richard, I know this may all be very confusing and most likely terrifying for you, but you need to understand that I did come here because I care."

"Did you bring a fire extinguisher Bruce?" Dick cut in seeming not to care that the Bat was in one of his very rare emotional moments, or it would have been if Dick had not cut in.

"What?" The Dark knight frowned, looking over the teen with a confused expression.

"Because I do believe your pants are on fire because of that lie you just spat out." Dick tried once again to pull at the restraints that were keeping him sprawled out on the bed. Memories of CADMUS flooded back to him and resurfaced, the panicked feeling returning with a vengeance. Dick swallowed hard, trying to keep his calm facade, but it was a constant struggle. "So what are you going to do? Experiments? I am sure that you could find out how I was created if you did that, that flashdrive didn't have everything on it you know." Dick glared slightly. "Or are you just going to lock me up so I don't go after Luthor for his part in all of this?"

"We are not going to harm you, but if we have to keep you here so you do not harm other, deserving or not, and yourself; we will do so." Bruce pulled a chair closer and sat near the edge of Dick's bed. "Richard, would you say that if Red Tornado switched his body into a different machine, would he still be Red Tornado? "

Dick rose an eyebrow, taken a little aback at the sudden change of topic, but he had a small clue of where the topic was going. "Red Tornado is a Robot, this is not the same thing." He glared, fists clenching.

"I believe it is." Batman frowned. "I still believe you are my son, and I will be damned if I let you slip through my fingers a second time." He placed a firm hand on Dick's shoulder. "New body or not, you are absolutely the same Boy wonder."

Dick struggled to move away from his mentors grasp, trying not to listen to the words the Caped Crusader spoke. He was not the same person, everything was different, HE was different. His mind went back to what Jason said earlier about how he was also sure that he was the same person, how he did absolutely everything Dick Grayson would have done. But, was that because he was still the boy wonder...or was he just programmed to think that he was the same as the dead hero. Before he knew it was happening, tears began overflowing and cascading down his cheeks. He didn't know what to do anymore, he was so lost. He felt a hand grab his own, squeezing gently as Dick continued to cry. He squeezed onto that hand like it was his lifeline, afraid if he let go his world would continue to unravel more than it already has. At some point, his restraints were removed, he did not recall it happening as all signs of time seemed to blend together as the next thing he knew he was in a strong embrace. One he thought he would never feel again. "B...Bruce... I'm scared.." Dick choked out. "What if I am not what you think, I could be some kind of weapon used against all of you." He felt so vulnerable, so out of control of his own life. "We don't know anything!"

"I know that no matter what, family sticks together. And I have complete faith that whatever is going on, we will figure it out. Richard, we are all here for you because you are family. I know it is selfish, but we need you just as much as you need us. Without you at home, Damian and Tim are at each other's throats more than usual, and poor Alfred could use some backup."

Dick wiped a few tears, sniffling and managing a weak laugh. "How could I argue with that?" He mumbles, burying his face in Bruce's chest. He just wanted to stay there for awhile, the childish need consuming him. He felt safe like that,he felt welcomed.

"There is one thing you must promise me though Richard." Bruce's voice returned to its usual serious tone.

Dick looked up slightly, his throat feeling like it was closing. "What is that?"

"I want you to promise, that no matter what, you will not go after Luthor alone, can you do that for me?"

Dick's hands clenched. To bruce, the request might have not seemed like it was that much of a deal, but to him, it meant the whole world. "Bruce...please do not make me agree to that, I need to get answers on this, I need closure--"

Bruce once again put his hand on Dick's shoulder. "I know that. I am not stopping you from getting these answers, I am simply asking you do not do it alone. Believe me, I am just as tempted to break the no-kill rule as you are, but We need to be sure that the crime fits the punishment." Bruce stood up. That was right, death would be far too lenient for Luthor. And Bruce vowed that Luthor was not getting out of this without an entire body cast.