From Protector To Lady Chapter 11

Start from the beginning

"Hello, Rebecca," I heard a deep voice say from behind me. I threw my hands up in the air as I turned around, now knowing why Philip had left so abruptly. From what I heard of late, Stanton and him had not been getting along at all as of late.

"Have I interrupted something of importance?" he asked with amusement as he saw the frustration of my posture, my hands on my hips.

"You know well you haven't. I am just keeping myself busy," I said as I waved a hand wistfully through the air.

"That is why I am here. I was wondering if you would like to spend the afternoon with me," he spoke strongly, his voice holding that sound of confidence and strength that it always had.

"Excuse me?" I asked, completely baffled. There is no way he is asking me to go with him just for good company.

"I am going for a short ride to the neighboring town of Cael, I thought it might do you good to get away for a while," he said as he spoke, his hands animated.

"I. Well, that sounds like it would be enjoyable, but I cannot, if Amelia were to need anything of me."

"Do not worry, she won't mind," he reassured.

"You've already spoken with her, haven't you," I accused, my eyes narrowing as I glared.

"Well of course I have," he said with a chuckle, his entire face lighting up just from the small hint of a smile.

"Well, I suppose I don't see why I should not go," I said as I wiped my hands on my skirts.

"Very well, I'll go see that the horses are readied," he said as he began to walk off.

"Wait! I'll join you," I said as I quickly fluttered up next to him. "I want to watch."

"Alright," he said as he nodded slightly, taking long strides as we began to walk.    

    I had to double my normal pace just to keep up with him. I couldn't help but feel even a little insignificant next to his looming masculine figure.

I did not try to make small talk as we made our way to the stables and neither did he.

"Fetch my horse and one for the lady as well," Stanton ordered to the stable hand who was rubbing some sort of substance onto a saddle, from what I know, it is probably meant to preserve the leather.

"Yes, Sir," the boy said as he jumped up from his post and grabbed two bridles. Walking into a stall he disappeared for a few moments before coming back out with a very large stallion, a stunning dapple grey.

    I watched in awe as the graceful beast walked to Stanton and stood obediently in front of him, nuzzling him on the chest with his snout. Stanton smiled and rubbed the horses neck before getting another nudge.

"Ah there there, Jack, ready for a ride I presume?" He asked as he ran his hands along the massive horses body.

"And for you, my lady," the stable hand said and my attention snapped back to where he was as I saw him holding a rope out to me which was connected to the bridle. I grabbed the rope and held it at an arm's length.

"You do not know much of horses, do you, Lady Rebecca?" Stanton asked, his voice light.

     I shook my head as I eyed the horse in front of me, becoming nervous. Standing above me, the horse was tall. Not as tall as Stanton's, but still a very fine animal; chocolate brown with four white socks and a white snippet on the snout.

"I'm afraid not," I said as I brought my hand up to the horses face, crying out when it whipped its head back quickly.

"You need to get to know her first, put your hand in front of her snout, let her take your scent," he said as he demonstrated, holding his hand out flat in front of Jack's face.