Chapter 15: All Good things must End

Start from the beginning

Rylan takes a deep breath to calm herself and rubs her hand across her face. Cas catches a glimpse of the extent of her exhaustion.

"I know. I'm sorry."

"Why don't you forget about this stuff for a while? You were doing so well until you read Principal Kennedy's letter. It's Christmas Break for goodness' sake. Hang out with your dad and Dani... and me." Cas wiggles his eyebrows when he mentions himself.

Rylan laughs. Cas enjoys the sound. He has been much more open with her since the incident with Tuck. He felt she really needed someone by her side so he hung around a lot more. Rylan appreciated it. Dani told her that Cas was acting much more like his real self. The fact makes Rylan a bit sad since she rather enjoyed the mystery surrounding Cas, but she is also glad she has someone she can talk to..

"I hope you don't mean all at once." Rylan jokes.

Cas snickers.

"So how about that ride?"

"I'd love a ride." Rylan smiles, but then bites her lip as she remembers something.

"Oh, wait. I have to drop off my term paper in the History room and talk to Mrs. Wright." Rylan grimaces.

"Well, I can wait if you want." Cas offers.

Rylan glances down the hallway. A few other students gather books from their lockers and some are grouped together talking and waiting for their parents. The snow had become thick over the past weeks. No one ventured outside unless it was to enter a getaway vehicle.

"Nah. I'll walk."

"In two feet of snow?" Cas asks incredulously.

"I don't live that far." Rylan points out. "Plus people walk everywhere in New Jersey. It's a lot like New York."

Cas stares at Rylan as if to say, 'You're being stupid.'

"Really, it's fine. I don't know how long this will take anyway."

"I can wait." Cas insists.

Rylan rolls her eyes. "You are so stubborn."

"I can't help what I am." Cas smarts.

Finally Rylan agrees. "Ugh! Fine. Wait for me if you like."

"I'll meet you at the car." He turns and exits the building.

Rylan watches him leave and follows the snowflakes with her eyes as they continue to fall behind the closed doors. Suddenly she is grateful that Cas and his dad are waiting to give her a ride. She doesn't really want to walk home through a couple feet of snow.

Rylan closes her locker and heads down the hall to the History room. The door is propped wide open and yellow light wafts out into the dim hallway.

"Mrs. Wright?"

Rylan enters the room, but Mrs. Wright isn't there. She quirks an eyebrow.

"I thought you said you'd wait for me after school." Rylan mutters dejectedly.

So much for her questions. Rylan sifts through her backpack for her essay and drops it onto the desk. Then she walks back into the hall. The sound of a door closing echoes through the corridor. A couple lights flick off at the far end of the hall. Rylan heads towards her locker and the exit.

She slows and stops. All the students who had been lining the halls are now gone.

"Hello?" Her voice echoes lightly through the hall.

Another door closes in the distance and Rylan flinches.

Strange, Rylan thinks. She peers at her watch. I guess everyone clears out early before break.