Chapter 20

Cody's POV
I jump when I hear this loud banging and snap my eyes open. I'm still in the vet's stables? I'm in Blue's stall, wait, where's Blue? I get up and walk out of the stall. Where's the rest of the horses?! Almost all of them are gone except for a few old horses and two ponies. I check my phone and the time says 3:43 am. In the reflection I find that my forehead is smudged in dried, red blood. I go to the stall with the loud banging noises and calm down an inpatient Shetland pony.

Hayley! Where is she?! Oh, now it's all coming back. The men, the trailer, and how I got knocked out. The guy got loose and hit my head against the stall door. My head is still pounding. The last thing I remember before blacking out is the guy whispering something along the lines of;

" Matt says have a good sleep, pretty boy." Stupid 'Matt' he told me his name and yelled the other guys name. I am about to text Hayley before realizing that they may break her phone to limit contact to anyone. I hear a truck pull up and race out the barn door. It's Stacey.

Hayley's POV
I wake up in an unfamiliar bed. I wipe my blurry eyes and they adjust to the light. It seems as though I'm in a trailer and it's about 11 in the morning.  I get out of the bed and peek through the blinds. The sight is filled with a large amount of horses in many pastures, a huge barn and a couple of trailers. Horse trailers. These are horse thieves all right. I carefully open the door of the trailer, trying not to be loud. I step out and trot over to the barn. These are probably where all the high quality horses stay, because I notice top notch Thoroughbreds, sleek, black Friesians, and tall, elegant Andalusians. Blue isn't in here.

I make my way towards the pastures and look in them one by one. I spot the pretty, white Arabian that was in the stables, and I know that Blue must be close. I spot another black horse and soon realize that it's a mare. I sigh and just as I spot another black horse, a stallion, I hear the laugh of a man. I duck behind a couple of bales of hay just out of the horses' reach.

" Two days ago, we picked up this load at the vets stables, we also brought a girl along with us. You know the boss' rules. No witnesses." The guy that sounded like Scott says to another person. Then why didn't they take Cody? Wait, I've been asleep for over a day? What?!

" I like that grulla mare, and that black stallion. What colour do you think the foal would be?" A very feminine voice speaks up. I hope in my head they aren't talking about Blue.

" Most likely another grulla, but maybe if were lucky, the foal may have a blue eye just like her sire." Oh great. I have to get Blue out of here.

As I watch him, he is actually behaving himself. And not trying to... Mount any mares. He's respecting them. They have put tags in their manes, numbered. Blue is number 357. And I'm guessing that he is the 375th horse there stolen or taken.

" So, it was nice seeing you again, April. I gotta go check on that girl." My heart stops. I'm that girl who was supposed to be sleeping in that trailer. I try to think as quickly as I can and spot a rock. Without thinking, I pick it up and chick it into the next pasture under a horses legs. He spooks and sets the whole paddock off. I just hear, through the whinnies and hoof beats of the horses, his footsteps running towards the paddock. I take off towards the trailer, not even looking behind me for the man. I open the door and quietly close it. I kick the remaining muck off my boots and hide it under a mat and jump onto the bed. After a minute or two there's a soft knock on the door. I shut my eyes closed and hear the quiet creak of the trailer door.

" Rise and shine. Are you even gonna wake up?" He places his hand on my shoulder and I force a yawn. I open my eyes and stare into his, pretending to not know anything.

" W-who are you? Where am I?!" I start to raise my voice slightly.

" Okay, slow down. My name is Scott and you are at my farm." Bad move Scott. You just told me your name. I hear someone else open the door and the other guy who took the stable horses and I walks in.

" Matt, she's awake." He motions over to me with a tilt of his head.

" Finally. Took you long enough. Now, come with me." He grabs my wrist and drags me out of the trailer.

" Ow!" I snap as he drags me towards a barn. Scott barely keeps up with Matt as he pulls me into the barn. As soon as we enter, he lets my wrist go and I rub it with my other hand. Scott shuts the barn door and Matt grabs a fold out chair for us.

" Now, Hayley, what exactly do you remember two nights ago? Why were you and the other guy still in the stable when we came?" I search my brain for something to say.

" Well, I just remember waking up in the trailer next to Scott." I feel my hands start to shake so I tuck them in my hoodie pocket. As if told by that one action, a large gust of wind sends my blonde locks flying around in the air.

" It's chilly, isn't it?" I try. He looks over at me from a bay mares stall.

" Well, it's almost September. What do you expect?" He calls Scott over and I can hear him whisper;

" What should we do with her? Do chores around the ranch or... Make her forget?" I grip my hands on the arms of the chair and let out a quiet, shaky breath.

" Last time we did that, they found out. Let's work it out of her," He nods and offers me a hand and I slowly take it, standing up.

" So, we're gonna watch you for quite a while. And for that while, you have the job of feeding, watering, grooming and exercising the horses, not riding. Just lunging." I nod along with my instructions and get handed a list of horses names, breeds, genders, colours and markings. I know that they will watch me all around the clock, so I will have to find out a way to get out by myself and the other horses.

Authors Note
So... How the heck are you liking it?! I have a very great idea for the next chapter😈 And I'm not going to tell you! Thanks for reading!