Chapter 8

My eyes flutter open and I stop my alarm from blaring in my ear. I reach for my phone and open the texting app and text Sara:
" We need to talk on a ride today. Now. ASAP!" I hit the send button and she replies:
" Okay, I'm putting a shirt on now!" I chuckle and spring out of my bed, changing into my barn clothes. I grab five apples and manage to put my boots on and make my way out the door. When I turn around, Adam is leading Dodger into his trailer and I drop the apples on the grass.

" Adam!" He looks over at me as he steps out of the trailer. I step closer and notice that the all his tack is loaded up.

" Hayley! You shouldn't be up so early. It's Sunday. You always sleep in on Sunday's." I step into the trailer, pushing Adam away. Dodger nickers to me and I give him an apple, which he crunches happily.

" Yeah, but I'm going for a ride right now. With Sara. What are you doing? Don't tell me that you're-" He cuts me off.

" Selling Dodger. I am. But, I am leaving in a couple of days and he is just another horse that you're taking care of for me. This is for his own good." I turn and undo the knot half way before getting grabbed and nearly thrown out the back of the trailer.

" Stop. The only thing you can do now for him is say goodbye." He steps to the side and I quickly walk over and bury my face in his long, chestnut mane.

" Dodger, thank you for being there for me when Spring wasn't here. Thanks for being such a good boy. And most important of all, thanks for being apart of my family and memories." He nuzzles my chest and I kiss his soft forehead. Pulling away from the sweet gelding, a tear drops down my face to the ground.

" You better make sure he gets the best home ever. And if he is just kicked too hard, I'm getting him back." He chuckles.

" Don't worry. He is going to a good home. I'm selling him to Peter Sheppard." My eyes widen and my jaw drops.

" Wait. Did you say Peter Sheppard? As in the one with the son named Cody?" He nods and I feel a wave of relief wash over me. My brother's horse is being sold to my boyfriend's dad, great! Now that I know that he isn't going to someone like Bianca, I start walking away to the barn.

" What?! Weren't you just the girl who was freaking out about him being sold?!" I look back and shrug my shoulders. Then, continue on my walk back to the barn. I slide the door open and switch the lights on. I strut into the tack room and it seems more empty. Oh yeah. All of Dodger's tack is going with him to Cody's. I walk back out and say good morning to Spring, leading her out to the crossties. I snatch my trail saddle up, along with a cool, blue pad. After cinching her up, I grab her bridle. She takes it easily and I led her out of the barn, just in time to see Adam drive up the driveway. Spring notices the way I jump on her back and as soon as I land in the seat, she takes off. Galloping after them.  We catch up to the side of the trailer and she lets out a loud neigh, Dodger neighs back from the inside. He speeds up and we loose him. Spring nervously half rears and I stroke her neck, calming her down. I only let her trot back home, because she used up a lot of energy from the chase. When I pull Spring to a stop in the outdoor arena, Sara emerges from the trail that leads to her house.

" Hey!" she waves to me on her dappled mare, slowing her to a walk. We walk one lap before exiting and taking the trail where Cody and I went.

" So, what did you want to talk about? Oh! Did you get accepted for your equine veterinarian stuff?" I shake my head.

" No. But that would be awesome! Here, I'll show you." she raises an eyebrow, questionably. We trot out into a clearing and I breathe in the familiar smell of the waterfall. I pull Spring to a stop and she looks around before spotting the rocks.

" Oh, my god! Did you say yes?" I point my eyes over to the rocks next to it. She lets out a excited squeal.

" Wow! I never thought that you would have a boyfriend before me." I place my hands of my hips.

" No, you had George in grade 7. Remember?" She, awkwardly, laughs.

" Yeah. So is that all you wanted to show me? Talk to me about? Ask me something?" she urges. I lean down and pat Spring's neck.

" Well, since Spring isn't mine, this is the last time I will ride her. Probably. Because, tomorrow, we are going to the round up. And I'm inviting you and Cody." Her smirk turns into a humongous smile.

" Oh, I would love to!" I lightly urge Spring into a lope and we make our way back home. When we emerge form the bush, my dad is walking Rock out of the barn. All tacked up in his barrel racing tack.

" Mornin, Mr. Barnes." he waves back at us and closes the gate to the outdoor arena, setting up the barrels. We untack our horses and let them into the pasture. They take off, bucking happily and racing each other. We walk in and I grab a banana, Sara grabs an orange. My mom enters the kitchen and frowns at us.

" What?" I ask. She points down at my boots and clears her throat. I tiptoe to the mud room and take them off, strutting back into the kitchen and taking a seat at the bar.

" Much better." she says with a smile. She grabs her coffee and leans up against the counter.

" Were training that stallion today. He is a nice leopard appaloosa. But has never been halter trained, he's almost five." I let out a mumble and we race to my room, Sara trips on the last step and pretty much face plants on the hard wood floor.

" Ow! I've fallen and I cant get up!" she yells as she holds her shin tightly. I burst out laughing and help her up, walking into may room. She slumps on the bed and rubs her shin. I check the clock. 8:45.

" So, what do you want to do for the rest of the day?" I ask the fake crying Sara. She immediately stops and sits up.

" Actually, I don't know." she excitedly, but boringly states. So, we just walk down the stairs. Again. And watch my dad take Rock around the barrels. I time him and his best is 17.28. Ha! He will never beat Spring and I!

A/N
Sooooooo...... How did u like this chapter?! Please, please vote if you did! Thanks a lot!

-Acacia