Chapter 2

I get woken up from my alarm and partly Sara's snoring. 4:35 am. I laugh and shove her, waking her up.

" Just ten more minutes!" I shake her some more.

" No! We have to feed the horses." Her eyes shoot open and she springs up off the bed. I burst out laughing. Her hair sticks out in all directions and she obviously forgot to remove her makeup, because her mascara was smudged all the way down her cheek. She shrugs her shoulders and whispers,

" What?" I walk up to her, lick my thumb and rub off some mascara. She sarcastically giggles and runs to the bathroom, rapidly scrubbing her face. I tie my hair back and change into my worn jeans and a teal long sleeve shirt. I walk down the stairs and pop a bagel in the toaster. Walking to get my boots, I hear the clumsy steps of Sara scrambling to get her boots on first. I, being the first one down, have my boots on and wait for her. She is now quieter and slips her boots on, following me outside. 

Thursday, but since Sara is here, I figured we would do it for him. The light flicks on as I turn the switch up. Sara speed walks over to Daisy's stall and grabs the empty water bucket. I casually walk over to Spring's stall and refill her water bucket. Rock nickers to me as I approach his stall, grabbing his bucket. I climb up to the hayloft and throw down some flakes. Right on top of Sara! She squirms to get out of the pile of hay, soon sneezing because of some that got up her nose. She dusts herself off and grabs a flake for Daisy, throwing the hungry mare her food. I do the same for the other three and we walk back into the house. 5:24. My bagel has pops up and is ready to eat, later getting smothered in jam and peanut butter. Sara comes waltzing in and snatches half of my bagel.

" Hey! I was going to-" She cuts me off.

" Give it to your bestest friend in the world? Thank you, Hayley!" She hugs me and sits down in 'her' chair. Since she comes here so often, she is almost my sister.

" Good morning Sara, and to you Hay Fever." Adam grins at me.

" A spam, how was your sleep? Canny?" He makes a pouty face.

" Oh, hahaha. That's just so funny!" And grabs the cereal box, pouring it into his milk filled bowl.

" You do know that it's cereal first, and then the milk?" Sara says with a mouthful of bagel. My bagel. I turn around and jump. My dad is standing there, pouring his coffee.

" Oh, hi dad. You scared me. Why are you so quiet?!" He shrugs and sips his coffee. Mom trudged down the stairs, with dark circles under her eyes.

" Mom? A-are you okay?" Adam asks, as politely as he can.

" I stayed up all night, planning for a stallion that we are breaking today." I switch my eyes back up at her.

" Are you breaking him, or are you breaking in your ten year old bed?" She shrugs and heads back upstairs. Most likely going back to sleep. Adam pulls his phone out.

" Oh crap! Its 6:40! I gotta feed the horses." Sara jumps out of her seat.

" Oh, no! Your sister and I have it covered." He calms down and gets his bag packed. Now, you may be wondering why he is still in school. Well, he is a few months older than me, and looks nothing like me. He is very tall, short brown hair, has a athletic build but has these azure blue eyes. Me, on the other hand, I have long blonde hair, electric blue eyes, am normal height and have a skinny build. Yet, I can handle a 1000 lb horse and haul hay bales from the loft.
Sara turns to me and grins.

" So, are you excited?" I look at her, confused.

" Excited about what?" Her smile turns into an unimpressed face.

" Graduating? Getting a horse? Maybe finding a boyfriend?" I almost choke on my last bite of bagel.

" I'm sorry, boyfriend?" She nods her head at me.

" Since you and Malcom broke up three years ago, all you've had are the two geldings out there." My dad looks at her, not impressed.

" My daughter isn't allowed a boyfriend until she gets a job or graduates." Sara's shoulders slump.

" Oh come on, John! She is graduating in like, seven days!" He looks up from his newspaper.

" It's Mr. Barnes. Not John." I speak up.

" I have a job here! It's working, riding and taking care of Spring, Dodger and Rock!" I storm out of the kitchen and and burst through the door. The barn is quiet, but suddenly fills with the sound of horses' nickers and whinnies. I, roughly, slide the door to the side and nearly rip off Springs lock to her stall. She half rears but still allows me to hop on her back. My eyes follow the door as I lope by, Sara and Adam burst out. Adam commands me to stop and Sara rushes to the barn. My eyes blur and I feel tears flow down my face. I lean forward into her neck and let Spring take me where ever she wants.
--------------
Twenty minutes later, I look up and see trees fly by us, almost grazing Spring's sides. She jumps a bush and I must've gone a few inches in the air, because I thump back onto her back. I have a death grip on her mane, trying not to slide off her side. 

Suddenly, she halts and I fly over her neck and head. My body tumbles down a small hill and my head hits something very hard. I hear a shrill neigh and breathing on my neck. Spring snorts above me and nudges me, ever so softly, urging me to get up. I lift my head and feel sticky blood on my forehead. My head bangs back down on the rock and Spring nudges me, slightly harder. I have enough strength to flip over and see her. Her eyes are rimmed white and she looks terrified. A high neigh sounds through the air like a bullet, and Sara jumps off Daisy. Spring steps over me, protectively. I just barely watch as her ears send backwards against her neck and she aggressively snorts. Daisy bolts in front of Sara and harshly neighs in Springs face. The two mares have a vocal fight before Sara calms Daisy down and the last thing is see is Sara's worried face and the bottom of Spring's jaw.

Then suddenly, it all goes black.

A/N
So, how are you liking it?
The girl on the front is Hayley and the horse is Spring!
Thanks!
-Acacia