Chapter 15

I roll off my bed, onto the hard wooden floor.

" Ow!" I rub the back of my head and stand up to walk over to my drawers. I pick out some clothes and take them into the bathroom. I strip from my pyjamas and hop into the shower, turning the nob to hot.

After washing my hair, my body and my face, I turn the shower off. Drying up, my phone lights up and I glance at the text.

" Wanna go for a ride?" It's from Cody. I change into my clothes and apply a light layer of mascara and grab my phone to text back.

" So sorry, gotta train Blue for the rodeo. Luv u." I hit send and walk out of my bathroom. I trot down the stairs and nearly run into someone. I look up and into my mother's blue eyes.

" Sorry mom, I was just going to grab a piece of toast. Then go out and feed the horses." She smiles and hugs me, I awkwardly hug her back. She steps out of my way, revealing a set breakfast table. I smile and sit next to Sara and mom's seat. It's not that we have specific seats, we just like where we sit.

" When did you do this?" I ask them. Sara turns to me with some whipping cream sticking on the top of her nose. I flick it off her nose and she giggles.

" When you were sleeping, silly!" I nod my head, while grabbing a pancake.

I finish up my second pancake and clear my plate, walking to the mud room. I notice a stack of letters on the dresser next to the door, pick it up and look through it. Bills, an early happy birthday card for dad, more bills and one to me from someone I can't seem to read. I drop the rest of the pile and open the letter. Mom, Sara and dad walk in and watch me open the letter, making me feel slightly weirded out. I flip open the paper and read;

" Hayley Alison Barnes, we are pleased to inform you that we have accepted you into the Northern Nevada Veterinary School. Please let us know if you have gotten this letter and contact us at-." My hand sends up to my mouth and a muffled gasp escapes my hand. I don't even bother to read the rest until later. My mother giggles and I spin around in my heel, roaming into them and engulfing them in a tight hug. I pull away, with tears in my eyes.

" Om my god! B-but I didn't even apply, how am I in? Oh! But the rodeo and Blue!" My mothers eyes are glassy with tears, I hope their happy ones.

" We got them to send it in early so you could make the year, you are going next year, in June. We snuck everything we needed, and sent them the letter. It's an early birthday present." Sara smiles, so does everyone else.

" Thank you so much! Really, thank you!" I kiss them all on their cheeks and run upstairs to clean my face, which is stained with mascara at the moment. I remove all of the black goop and apply a new, light layer and skip down the stairs. Sara and my mom are cleaning up breakfast and my dad is just heading out the door. I bolt into the mud room and shove my boots on, bursting out the door.

" Hey, dad! Wait up!" I call. He looks back, smiles, and continues walking towards the barn. He slides the door open and walks over to Rock's stall and strokes his pretty forehead. I walk over to Blue's stall and he sticks his head over the fence. I pet his cheek and slide into the stall and notice that he is taking all weight off of his right hind leg. I walk over and bend down, feeling his leg up and down. I feel that it is slightly swelled and there's a lump below his knee. My face twists in concern and I call for dad.

" Dad! Come here." He jogs over and bends down beside me.

" What is it? Is he okay?" I let him feel his leg and he doesn't look so happy. I pass him the lead and walk out of the stall.

" Can you lead him out so I can take a look at him?" I politely ask. He clicks on the lead and smiles.

" For sure, my little veterinarian." He starts to lead him down the drive way and his right leg looks different than the other one. I shake my head and dad leads him back. I grab my phone and dial the vet.

" Hey, I was wondering if you could come take a look at my horse... Yes, Stacy, we still live here. Okay, I am not sure what it exactly is but it doesn't look too pretty. 15 minutes? Okay, thank you, Stacey. Bye." I turn to dad and he has a grim look on his face.

" Vet's gonna be here in 15, tie Blue up to the crossties or bathing area. Please?" He nods and walks him away. I feed, water and turn the other horses out into their paddocks. I look up in the sky, watching the marshmallow like clouds roll by. It is around 12 o'clock, and it is pretty warm out. I sit down on the fence, along the driveway of Blue's pasture. After a couple of minutes, the vet clinic's truck rolls in, pulling a horse trailer and has a canopy on the truck, which is full of supplies and tools. I wave to the driver and shake his hand.

" Hi. Hayley, right? I'm Dr. Gray." I nod.

" Yes, thanks for coming out this early. Most vet's we call take an hour or so." I walk him into the barn and show him Blue.

" Hey buddy. You must be Blue. Now, what's the matter with this stallion of yours?" He says, standing at Blue's shoulder.

" Well, when I went into his stall half an hour ago, he was taking all weight off of his right hind leg. Dad led him around and he walks kind of funny. His leg was hot and swelled also." He nods and I show him his leg. He feels around and looks back up at us.

" I'm just gonna have an ultrasound on his leg and see what's going on."
--------------
After an hour, he shuts the machine off and stands up. His face is paler than it was when he first arrived and his words sting like a whip, whipping across your face.

" Hayley, I'm sorry, but.... Blue bowed his tendon."