The destruction

Liliette

The muck was a light brown color, a mix of soft clay, small rocks and who knows what else. It was obviously dirty, filled with broken pottery, plant life, paper and toys that yesterday were so new. Today the seemed old, dingy, mud covered and forgotten. Still, I kept my eyes glued to the ground, I knew if I looked around it would be worse. My sneakers were sucked into the mess, each step I took brought a distinctive pop sound. There must have been six inches of mud on the ground, it could have been worse, there had been three feet of water in here.

    I took a deep breathe, steeling myself as I prepared to look up, the nauseatingly thick scent of propane greeted my nostrils. Yes, it could have been much worse. I finally looked up, and stifled a gasp.

    Chairs lay strewn like a child’s toys in a mud pit, other artifacts lay unidentifiable in the mud. A water line was visible on everything, objects beneath turned besmirched and instantly aged beneath a grayish coat. The room itself looked somewhat apocalyptic, the front door was blown out frame and all. A door on the lower level had reappeared after being covered with sheetrock for years. Collapsed cabinetry and shattered overhanging shelves held the appearance of a bomb going off. And to add to the Armageddon appearance was the pure irony of the untouched restaurant tables. They were above water line, there surfaces clean and the silverware still eerily arranged as if waiting for the customer to sit down and enjoy their meal.

    I walked outside, it was no better out here. Huge craters turned the simple asphalt parking lot into a war zone. The back building hung over a chasm, with no foundation and the furnace and oil tank hanging into the hole. The burning scent of propane still hung in the air even though the tanks had leaked all their contents and now were smashed against the barn.

    I stood, somewhat shocked, with only two thoughts running through my mind: Why us? Our business, our jobs…money? and No, this isn’t over, we’ll come back from this. I knew my parents felt the same. Yes we would rebuild, but it would be a long road.  

(A/N: So I think i'm going to skip around in time a bit, don't worry if parts are missing, i'll get them in soon, i just want to focus on describing everything thats happened. Please vote and comment. Tell me what you think. Please, if you can, help Windham through windhamrebuild.org I'll post more ways to donate soon. THANK YOU!