Chapter 7 The Rouge

Skyler walked back through the "Emploees Only" door 1 minute and 59 seconds after the alarms stopped. I fell in to step beside him.

"What was that about?" I asked.

"None of your business," he replied.

"I would think it would be. If it was a nuclear meltdown I would be entitled to know that I was exposed to potentially deadly radiation that might cause me to grow a second head."

"Well... Fine I'll tell you. But you can't tell anyone about this. I mean anyone."

"D'accord."

"One of our scientists was wandering around and found a room he shouldn't have.  In a fit of rage he started destroying the contents of said room.  He ruptured a pipe transporting poisonous gas.  He then ran out into the world threatening to tell the world what he saw unless the operations in the room were terminated. "

"What was in that room?"

"Need to know."

"Yes I do."

"No, in briefing I was told it was need to know, and apparently I didn't need to know."

"So what does this have to do with you?"

"I have to go find him and bring him back, preferably alive."

"I'll help you."

"No you won't.  This is grunt work.  Squints don't do grunt work."

"I will keep pestering you until you let me help."

"Not gonna work."

"Please.  Please.   Please.   Please.   Please.   Please.  Please.   Please.   Please--"

"ALL RIGHT FINE!  You can help."

"Yes."  Me 2 Skyler 0.

"But one final warning.  This guy is dangerous.  And probably armed."

"Don't care."

Skyler shrugged.  "Suit yourself," he said, opening a door.

I was surprised the whole room hadn't blown up yet.