Chapter Eighteen

It has been a week since Cody completely rejected me like that. I hadn't even had a chance to tell him that I loved him. Now I never will because he hates me.

I sighed as I walked through the snow. It was Christmas day, not that it mattered much to me. Nathan had to work all day, and the rest of the family had other things to do. So I was left all alone, walking in the snow, holding a bag of books from Barnes and Noble.

"I can't even celebrate Christmas, huh..." I muttered. It felt like the world was out to get me.

I looked both ways at the road, nothing. I started to cross and then a car came out of no where. I turned to run back to the sidewalk before the car hit me, but I felt something wrong with my leg and fell instead. All I could do was watch as the car hit me. I had to ignore the pain I felt.

After the car went around me, I found the strength to get up off the road. I started crossing for real this time, limping. I did not understand how I always managed to get myself in these kind of messes.

I sighed. After a half hour more of walking, I began to feel tired and dizzy. That is it, I was going to die today, huh. Yet I could not bring myself to care much.

"I'm sorry, Nathan...Cody..Everybody"I hit the ground with a loud thump. All I could think of were the past memories, of Cody and Rei and everybody else, as I struggled to keep my eyes open. But I knew if I fell asleep in this snow, I would probably never wake up again.

"Is someone out there?" someone asked, and then I felt my eyes flutter shut.

--

When I came to, I was laying on a bed. I felt quite sweaty and feverish. Was everything all a dream?

It took me a moment to realize that it wasn't a dream. I could feel bandages wrapped around my leg.

"You are awake?" I looked up to see Cody standing there. What were the chances I would faint and he would be the one to find me? The chances seemed even slimmer that he would find me and not just leave me there to die.

"Why didn't you just leave me there to die?" I muttered. Instead I have to be reminded that he hates me. I know I am being ridiculous about this situation, but I could not help the way I feel.

"Why would I let you die?" Cody asked, offended at the question.

"Because you hate me" I replied.

He sighed. "I don't hate you, Kodi. I am sorry. I freaked out when you told me you were transgender. I don't know, I was stupid. So I can see why you would not forgive me-"

"I forgive you" I replied. And then I fell back asleep.