Chapter Fifteen

I opened my eyes sleepily. I ached all over, but it's not surprising after knowing what I went through.

"Kodi?" Nathan asked me, lifting his head up from the side of my bed. He had fallen asleep in a chair, using the extra bit of bed as a pillow.

"N-Nathe" I stuttered. I was glad to finally be back with my brother. Then I remembered something. "Where's Cody?" I froze at the thought of him finding out I wasn't biologically male.

"I sent him off, don't worry" Nathan said.

"Kodi!' Riley ran into the room and was by my side in an instant. I could tell she wanted to hug me, but refrained from doing so because she didn't want to hurt me.

"Riles" I gave her a shaky smile.

"Bro, are you okay?" Andy asked, walking in. He was worried as well.

"I'm getting better" I said, knowing I couldn't lie. I was wrapped from head to toe in bandages, I doubt they'd buy it if I said I was fine.

"The doctor said you have to stay in the hospital for a week" Nathan said, worried. I gave him a shaky nod. I realized I wanted to see Cody bad, but something else was on my mind first.

"How's Rose and her mom?" I asked Nathan, "how's dad?"

"They're fine" Nathan assured me. At that moment, a nurse walked in.

"Hello, I'm sorry to inform you, but visiting hours are over. Also Kodi, I hear you identify as male. Would you like me to keep your biological sex unknown from people who aren't family?" The nurse asked. I smiled at her.

"Yes, please" I turned to Riley, "please don't cry, Riles. I will get better soon."

----

I woke up and gave a small yawn. The nurse walked in.

"You have a visitor" the nurse smiled cheerfully, moving aside. I was surprised that Rei of all people came to visit me. She looked shy. "I will leave you two alone." I watched as the nurse left before returning my attention to Rei.

"What brings you here?" I asked, nodding to a chair, "please, have a seat." She sat down in the chair by my bedside.

"I'm really sorry I acted like a jerk to you" she frowned. Huh? Where's this coming from? It's completely unlike Rei.

"It's okay, Rei. Don't worry about it" I replied. She nodded and smiled at me.

"How are your injuries?" She asked, genuinely worried.

"They're getting better" I replied. I could still feel the cuts and bruises like I just received them, but I would leave that out.

"Hey, when you get out, do you want to go to the movies with me?" She asked nervously. I smiled and nodded.

"Sure, I can go" I replied.

"Well, I better get going. I hope you get better" she got up out of her seat.

----

"Hey, Kodi" I was surprised to see that Cody was my second visitor that day.

"Hey, Cody" I replied. He was holding a bouquet of roses, along with a teddy bear that had a tag stuck to a red collar around its neck.

Cody placed the bouquet of roses and the teddy bear on the table beside my bed. The tag on the bears collar read as "get well soon".

"Why the roses?" I asked, curiously. Cody scratched the back of his head nervously and gave me a sheepish smile.

"No reason, how are you feeling?" He smiled.

"I'm getting better" I replied.

"That's good news" he replied, "I really hope you get well soon." He sat down in the chair.

He took a deep breath. "I know you were avoiding me before all this happened, and I want to know why."

"Uh.." because I'm in love with you and you have s girlfriend "no reason." That's probably my better answer. "I wasn't really avoiding you, I was busy with homework. Then, of course, I got kidnapped."

"Is that so?" He didn't buy it.

"Yep!" I replied. He sighed.

"I know that's not the truth, but I know you don't want to tell me right now, so I won't push you further" he said. And for that, I was grateful.