Chapter Six

"Kodi! Wake up!" Nathan called. I rolled over and buried my face in my pillow.

"Five more minutes mummy.." I yawned. I heard Nathan sigh.

"No. If you don't get dressed now, you're going to be late for your meeting with Rei" he said. At that, I shot up out of bed.

"Get out, get out, get out!" I shoved him out the door and quickly locked it. I threw on my chest binder and put on a white tee and blue jeans. Over it, I put on an oversized bunny hoodie that went down to my knees. After that I flat ironed my bangs so they fell in front of my face, covering one eye. Then I put up the hood and put on some white tennis shoes.

I checked my phone to see it was ten. Shit, I'm late! I open the door and walk to the front door.

"Bye Nathe! I will see you later!" I call, forgetting about breakfast. I grabbed my wallet, stuffed it in my pocket, and ran out the door.

It took me ten minutes of running to the park. I stopped, panting, when I finally reached my destination. I was still panting heavily. I had sprinted here because I was already late.

"You're late" I looked up to see Rei standing in front of me, arms crossed over her chest. I waited a moment to catch my breath.

"I'm sorry, I overslept" I sighed. She rolled her eyes.

"Well come on, this project isn't going to finish itself" she pulled out the instructions for the assignment.

You and your partner will be observing a specific animal that your teacher gives you. You will be expected to work together outside of class and you will be expected to get along. When you are done with your research notes, you will film a video on them. This project isn't due until the end of the semester.

I sighed. A video, really? I don't want to do that.

"Teachers really know how to piss me off. Do they even think when assigning partners?" Rei mumbled.

"I'm also new here so they probably don't think I've made any enemies" I replied.

"Well, where do we start? There's this wolf exhibition opening up next week on Tuesday.." she sighed.

"Great idea, princess! We could do some community service there and help out. In return, they might be able to let us observe the wolves" I smiled.

"So next week on Tuesday, right?" She asked. I nodded.

"Yes. We will go right after school so don't have any plans. Okay?" I replied and she nodded.

"That's great.." she stood up and must have felt dizzy because a second later she fainted. I quickly caught her and carried her back to my house. I set her on my bed. I prepared a sandwich and wrapped it in plastic. I grabbed a cup of water and put both on the nightstand next to my bed.

I snuggled on the couch in my room while waiting for her to wake up. Thankfully there were no signs that I was born in the wrong body. No signs she could see anyways. In front of my couch was a TV with a PS3 and a Nintendo Wii, along with a DVD player. There was a cabinet full of movies next to it. I had a lot of space in my room.

I must have fallen asleep because a few hours I woke up and the sun was setting. Soon after I noticed Rei waking up. She slept along time. She looked around the room confused before her eyes landed on me, gazing at me questioningly.

"You fainted at the park so I brought you here. There's a sandwich and some water on the table for you" I spoke.

"How do I know you didn't poison it?" She snarled.

"Spoiled princess" I mumbled, "look, you got to eat something. You most likely fainted from not eating." She glared at me.

"In not hungry, so you can take it" she said. I walked up to her and handed her the sandwich.

"Eat it. Or I'm telling people about this" I said. That was probably low, but I don't need her to starve. I don't even know why I cared.

"Why do you care anyways?" She asked, but took a bite of the sandwich anyways. She drank her water after she finished her sandwich. "Promise you won't tell?"

I nodded and softened my features. "Yes. Come on, I will drive you home." She followed me out the door and I saw Nathan.

"Who's this, Kodi?" He asked.

"This is my partner, Rei. Rei, this is my older brother, Nathan. Nathe, can I borrow your car?" I asked, and Nathan handed me the keys.

"Sure, take her home. I hope you'll come visit Rei" he smiled. I noticed Rei blush as I led her out to the car.

Starting the car, I said , "don't bother. He has a boyfriend." Rei nodded. I thought for sure she was going to call him a freak. Besides, she has a boyfriend anyways.

"I didn't know you had a brother" she said. I nodded.

"Yes, I have two and a sister" I replied, following her directions to her house. Soon I pulled in her driveway.

"Goodbye" she mumbled.

"Bye, Rei" I replied.