Chapter 24

MAEGAN'S POV:

     My feelings were like a mixture of every negative emotion you could possibly feel, wrapped around a bundle of happiness, joy, and relief. I don't know how I was supposed to feel. Sure, I was angry, hurt, and sad that Niall would lie to me the way he did, especially when it caused me pain, but I was also ecstatic because I know that I'm the only girl he loves now, that there is no Savannah.

     Not only did I not want to forgive him because I was still hurt, but I wanted him to have to suffer just a bit. I know that sounded cruel, but I want him to have to experience what I felt: to be rejected.

     I wiped away my last tear and stood up, and Hope did too.

     "Do you want to talk it out?" she asked softly, placing her hand on my forearm. I shook my head and retrieved my phone from my room, only to find that I already had six texts and two missed calls from Niall, and he left exactly four minutes ago.

     I sighed and read them.

     I'm sorry. I did something I never should have done. I'm so, so, so sorry. Please believe me.

     Please forgive me, Mae. You're my best friend. I can't lose you.

     I'm so sorry.

     Please talk to me. Please.

     I shouldn't have lied, I know. Just please, talk to me. You can trust me. I know I hurt you. I'm sorry, I didn't mean to.

     Alright, I'll talk when you want to talk. Whenever you're ready, I'm here, waiting for you. I love you and I'm so sorry.

     I sighed and allowed a small smile to creep its way onto my face upon reading his texts. He left a voicemail for one of the calls, saying pretty much the same things his texts did, but his voice was broken and cracked in the end, obviously showing that he wanted to cry.

     I know I can trust him. I know I can because I always have. I know that this was the only time he's ever slipped up like this. I know he didn't mean to hurt me. I know that he was just scared. But I was scared too.

     I also know that I have to forgive him, and I will, the very next time I see him.

     But then my thoughts drifted to Carter. I told him I would wait before I would be with Niall, if he confessed that he loved me, that is. And he did. Carter still doesn't know, and I need to tell him, and I will soon. He hasn't called me or texted me since the night that I told Harry what happened, while Harry has been trying to get in touch with me nonstop ever since. I wonder if he knew Niall was going to do what he did tonight, if he knew that Savannah wasn't real.

     I plopped down onto the couch next to Hope, reading over the texts Niall sent over and over again. He was making such an effort.