Chapter Eleven

Começar do início

            “Class, if you could pull out your books and your homework that I had assigned you last weekend.  I never gathered it.” I went down to grab my book and froze.  What, where was it?  A thought occurred to me.  We hadn’t used them at all this week so far, maybe, just maybe…

            “Luke.”

            “What?”

            “You didn’t call Vanessa did you?” He froze.

            “I am so sorry Charles, I totally blanked.” Great, my book and homework was still at that beach place, which Luke wasn’t allowed to go to anymore.  I was so dead.  Our teacher started to go around and gather our homework and I didn’t have any.  I bit my lip, would she believe me if I told her that it was in the cities?  Hopefully.

            “Here,” Luke slid me his homework.

            “I-I can’t take this!” I slid it back to him.

            “Yes you can, it is my fault that you don’t have it today.”

            “Yes, but it is just as much mine!” I threw it back at him.

            “Take it,” he said through gritted teeth.

            “No.”

            “Yes.”

            “No.

            “Yes.” He threw it at me and Ms. Beffert took it from me.  She took one look at it and handed it back to me. 

            “Name.”

            “Uh, Charles, Charles Hatsfend.” She raised an eyebrow. 

            “I meant on your paper.”

            “Oh,” I grabbed it and quickly scribbled down my name, wait, I had an idea.  I erased it and put down Luke Young.  She looked at me skeptically before taking it.  She walked past Luke.  I saw him out of the corner of my eyes and noticed that he was shooting me daggers.  I didn’t look at him for the rest of the lesson, even though I didn’t have a book to follow along in.

            Ms. Beffert assigned us a book assignment.  A girl next to me offered me her book and we slid our desks together as we started to work.  I still wasn’t going to look at Luke, it was obvious that he was still mad at my decision.

            “Charles,” Ms. Beffert came up to my desk.  “Do you have a book?”

            “No,” I sighed.  I should stop sighing or I am really going to lose my soul.  Can’t lose what you don’t have.  Ha…bad joke.

            “I am going to need to speak with you after class.” I nodded and she left.  After the bell rang I ran up to her desk so I wouldn’t have to cross paths with Luke. 

            “You wanted to see me?”

            “Yes, I realize that you haven’t turned in your assignment, and today you are out a book.”

            “I can explain that.”

            “Then do explain.”

            “See, I went to Vanessa’s party last weekend, and I brought my calculus stuff to work on it.  I got thrown into the indoor lake thing and then Luke got in a fight with Darren.”