Twenty Five

"You seriously think you're pregnant?" Rocsi asked, sat across from me.

"I was meant to start my period two weeks ago"

"Have you took a test?" Sydney asked.

"No"

"Why not?"

"Because I don't know if I want it to be true. What if I am and Luke doesn't want kids with me? We've been together for three months for fucks sake"

"But you guys have known each other for years. Luke loves you. He has one daughter, I'm sure he wants more kids"

"I take it you haven't told Luke then"

"Not yet. He's excited about Lola's birthday and been pretty happy lately. I don't want to stress him out"

"Mads, you should just tell him"

"Take a test first though, so you're sure"

"What if I'm a shit mother?"

"Lola thinks you're pretty great doesn't she? She loves you"

"Maddie, you're stressing out too much. You should just go home, take a fucking test and then talk to Luke"

"You're right" I told them, pulling on my jacket and grabbing anything I needed. "I'll text you guys"

"You better" Sydney shouted after me.

****

"Hey, Maddie. We're home" I heard Luke call out.

"Shit" I shoved the two tests in the drawer under the sink. I left the bathroom, brushing my hair back with my hand. I saw Luke rummaging through the kitchen cupboards whilst Lola sat on the top of the island, kicking her legs back and forth.

"Maddie!" Lola said making Luke turn to face me.

"Hey, there you are" He said, coming over to me and kissing my forehead. "You alright? You look stressed again"

"I'm fine" I lied. "Can we talk later?"

"What's wrong?"

"Nothing, it's nothing bad. I just I- don't worry"

"Maddie"

"Honestly, forget I said anything"

"Fine" He said, agreeing to disagree. I knew he'd bring it up later.

"I just need to go to the toilet, I'll be back in a minute" He nodded and went back to pulling out several ingredients from the cupboard.

I went into the bathroom and locked the door behind me. I opened the drawer again and took the two tests out, clutching them tight in my hand. I sighed and close my eyes before opening them again. I opened my hand and placed the tests on the counter. I read the small screens, seeing both said positive. I stood in front of the large mirror and held my stomach. A few sobs left my mouth as tears rolled down my face.

"Maddie, you OK?"

"Yeah, I-I'm fine"

"You sure?"

"No" I sobbed and unlocked the door, letting Luke in.

"Hey, hey, what's wrong?" Luke said, sitting beside me on the floor.

"Nothing's wrong"

"Then why are you crying?"

"Luke, I'm pregnant" I blurted out.