Twenty Two

"Ears!" Lola said from between Luke and I after we'd walked through the turnstiles. "Daddy, can I have some ears?"

"Will they fit you?" Luke asked.

"They do me size ones" Lola replied.

"I'll get you ears since your dad doesn't seem to want to"

"He's such a meanie" Lola fake pouted as we walked over to the small kiosk store.

"All you two do is gang up on me" Luke said, catching us up and standing besides us as Lola picked the ears she wanted.

"We love you really, daddy" Lola said, hugging his legs. "Don't we, Maddie?"

"Yeah, daddy" I smirked as I said it.

"That's Ashton's thing, not mine" Luke said and I let out a short laugh.

"Seriously?"

"Not sure, that's what one of his ex girlfriends said" I rolled my eyes and shook my head at him.

"Can I have these ones?" Lola said, trying to make the ears stay on her head. She'd chosen the classic black 'fur' ears with the plush red and white polka dot bow in the middle.

"How about we get them in you size though?" I said, crouching down besides her and taking a child size pair off the rack. I took the ones she had on off and placed them on my lap and placed the child ones on her head. "Better?" She nodded, taking the adult ones from my lap and pushing them onto my head.

"Can we match?" She asked and I nodded, smiling. She smiled widely and hugged me. I took the ears off her head and mine and went to pay for them.

"Hey, I've got this" Luke said, pulling his wallet out of his pocket.

"It's fine, I'll buy them for us"

"Are you sure?"

"Yes, Luke" I laughed as Luke rolled his eyes at my stubbornness.

"That'll be $37.64, please" I handed him the money and let him take the tags off before walking over to where Luke and Lola were stood waiting.

"$37 for those? That's ridiculous" He said, having heard the price.

"But look how happy Lola is" I said, nudging him as Lola put her ears on, smiling wide. "You can't put a price on your daughter's happiness"

"You just did, $37"

"Hers were only $15"

"Yeah but she wants you to match her"

"Maddie, put your ears on!" Lola exclaimed. I crouched down and let her take them from my grasp. "I'll put them on you!" She did as she said and I smiled as she adjusted them.

"My two Minnie's" Luke said, the two of us taking one of Lola's hands in our own.

"Luke, it might be a bit late but does Lola fit the height requirement for any of these rides?"

"She's got half of me in her and as you said, I'm a giant"

"Daddy, look it's Mickey and Minnie!" Lola squealed.

"Do you want a photo with them?" She nodded excitedly.

****

"OK, so we've done splash mountain and the railroad. Shall we do space mountain and the bobsleds?"

"What are the height restrictions?"

"40 inches. Lola was 43 last time I checked"

"We're good then" On the last two rides we'd just been able to get Lola on them. It may have helped with Luke and I being who we were. "I'm so glad Lola's tall enough to ride space mountain, it's my favourite. You can't go to Disneyland and not go on space mountain"

"How many times have you been here?" Luke asked as we walked, Lola in his arms.

"A few" He raised his eyebrows, not believing me. "Fine. A lot. Becky has, well she did anyway, an annual pass so we came all the time"

"When Lola's a bit older, and taller, we should get an annual pass"

****

"Maddie, can we get something to eat?"

"What would you like?" She shrugged.

"There's a restaurant over there by the look of it. Shall we go there?" Luke asked and I nodded, guiding Lola to the place. We got there and ordered our food before sitting down. "Lola, are you having a good time?"

"Uh huh. Thanks for bringing me"

"Thank Maddie, it was her idea"

"Thank you, Maddie" She said, reaching over to hug me. I lifted her up, placing her on my lap to make it easier. "I love you both this much" She said, giggling as she stretched her arms out as far as she could.

"That's not much when I love you this much" Luke said, stretching his arms out.

"But, daddy, you're a giant. You have longer arms"

"Did Maddie tell you I was a giant?"

"I would never" I fake gasped and Luke smirked at me.

"Filling my daughters head with nonsense, Madison"

"Are we using the full names now, Lucas?"

"My names not Lucas, it's Luke. Just Luke"

"I know, I'm just teasing"

"This is not the place for teasing, Madison. That's strictly for somewhere else, if not at all"

"Luke, your daughter is right here" I said and he shrugged, laughing.

"Lola, did you want to watch the fireworks before we leave?"

"Please" She said excitedly, nodding in agreement.

"Let's eat our food then go and find a place to watch them then" We all agreed just as our plates were put in front of us.

****

"What time is it?" Lola asked.

"8:58" I replied.

"What time do the fireworks start?"

"9"

"Two minutes!" She squealed.

"Do you want to sit on my shoulders, sweetie?"

"That scares me, daddy, it's too high"

"I'll just hold you then?" She nodded and Luke picked her up, holding her on his left whilst I wrapped an arm around his waist. The fireworks soon started and Lola would let out a low squeal or gasp every time she liked one of the fireworks. I felt lips press against my cheek and turned to look at Luke. "I love you, Mads"

"I love you too, Luke"

"After all these years, I finally feel like Lola's got a happy, stable family"

"She always did with you alone"

"You're amazing, you know that?"

"My boyfriend's told me a few times"

"He must feel pretty lucky to have you"

"I don't know about that but I feel pretty lucky to have him"

"Trust me, he feels like the luckiest man alive" I smiled before kissing him. It was only short but I couldn't stop myself from smiling as we pulled away and returned our attention to the fireworks.