03.

THREE ; HANG MAN

     Evan smiled kindly as she retracted the sharp needle from the boy's arm. He winced in response, his eyes squeezing shut for a small fraction of a second before they opened again, filled with excitement and relief.

     It hadn't been the first time since some of the transferred asked her what the Safe Haven was like, thinking that because she worked for the people who had saved them she had already been there. Evanna repeatedly disappointed every single person who questioned, for she didn't know.

     Though, that didn't take away the small sliver of anxiety which was almost undetectable under the amount of excitement. They simply nodded, the smiles plastered on their faces. They did all what was asked from them and more, not being able to wait to start their new lives.

     Evan took a little step back and waved at the last person of the day, sending the boy off to doctor Crawford who would give him extra medication so he wouldn't get sick on the way there. The girl stared after the patient until he was completely out of sight, leaving her alone in the dimly lit room, all the other doctors having left already.

     Letting out a deep breath, Evan placed the needle on the table beside her and plopped down in the chair the boy had previously been sitting on. She ran a hand through her hair and blinked slowly, feeling sleep begin to creep into her system.

     Hearing the beep of the intercom, Evanna's head perked up as her name was mentioned, making her eyebrows furrow in confusion as she glanced at her wrist watch. It was already a little past seven and six was usually when she got off duty, so why she had to work overtime today was a mystery to her.

     Nevertheless, with a heavy sigh, she pushed herself up and shuffled towards the door, knowing better than to ignore it and go to her dorm to sleep. She'd be alone with two bunk beds anyway, the only thing to entertain her being a measly tennis ball that only annoyed the next door neighbor.

     "Evanna, report in control room."

     The voice repeated, Evanna recognizing it to be Janson's. She wondered what she had done wrong now, even though she was pretty sure she didn't do anything, as she made her way through the white halls, blending in perfectly with her white shirt.

     Her seemingly serene walk to the control room was disturbed as she heard pounding above her head. Evan stopped mid-stride and looked up, frowning at the vents. She arched an eyebrow before shaking her head and shrugging it off, continuing her walk.

     She figured it must be the fatigue since there were certainly no rodents inside WICKED.

     Her curiosity was sparked, however, when Evan saw something she had never seen before in all the years she lived in the building. Her eyebrows drew together, creases forming on her forehead as she watched silently, something feeling off.

     As one of the heads of the doctors turned to look in her direction, Evanna's eyes grew wide and she hid behind the corner, disappearing from view. Only seconds later she dared to take a peek, staring at the doctors' back as they made their way down the hall.

     Strange-looking stretchers were pushed and dragged along, something covered up by white sheets, Evan taking note that they were all handling it extremely carefully. As if someone were to die if it bumped into the smallest of things. A soft glow emitted from the top, like when someone is watching TV and even though you are in a different room you can still see the light coming from it.

     Attentively, as curiosity got the best of her, Evan followed them quietly. She remembered the promise she had made with herself the night before. She was intent on uncovering every secret WICKED had ever withheld from her.