The Next Great Adventure

I wrote this one shot a super long time ago as a request and don't feel like reading it again to edit it. Sorry for any mistakes.

Sirius fell through the veil and plummeted to the ground. He was blinded by the stark contrast of the dark room he had just been in to the well-lit one he had entered. Strangely enough, none of it hurt. He stood up and ran his hand along the white bricks in front of him, taking in his surroundings. It wasn't just the bricks that were white. Everything was. He looked down and noticed that he was wearing a soft t shirt and jeans. The shirt was black and read "The Beatles World Tour". It was the sort of thing he would have worn in his younger, happier days.

He felt his eyes come into focus and noticed that he was on Platform Nine and Three Quarters.

"I'm going home," he whispered to himself softly.

"Sirius! Blimey! You look different!" a familiar voice called.

Sirius turned around. Much to his disappointment, the person standing in front of him was not who he was hoping to see. He was overcome by a sudden mixture of hopelessness and rage.

"It... It must have been a mistake..." he stammered.

"I know you were probably hoping for James but, they sent me instead. I told them you wouldn't be happy," Regulus said.

Sirius wondered who "they" were but, mostly why it had to be his brother. Fear and confusion gave him the impression of being a first year at Hogwarts again. Regulus put a hand on Sirius's back and gently guided his brother onto the train. He took him to one of the compartments and opened the glass door with a wave of his hand. Everything inside the train was normal colored. Sirius wondered how his brother remembered his usual spot from years ago.

"Where are you taking me?" Sirius demanded, his voice quivering.

"Well, you weren't very nice to Kreacher," Regulus teased.

Sirius turned paler than usual.

"Haha! Your face!" he laughed.

"It's not funny!"

"You're right. I guess I owe you an explanation. It is what I'm here for after all," Regulus said, leaning back in his seat in a gesture of repose.

"And then they'll send you back," Sirius complained.

"Not quite. I have some explaining to do," He told him everything that had happened with his life (and death) while Sirius was in Azkaban. "I just wanted to say- I'm really sorry about everything."

He looked up at his brother with pleading gray eyes, waiting for forgiveness but not expecting it. It seemed like an eternity before Sirius spoke.

"You look so much older."

"You actually look quite a bit younger since the last time I saw you," Regulus said. Sirius caught a glimpse of his reflection in the window of the train. (It was dark outside, therefore he could use the glass as a mirror.) Any remaining traces of Azkaban were gone. His hair was washed and neatly combed the way he used to keep it when James and Lily were alive.

"I forgot how handsome I was," he said. Regulus rolled his eyes. Then, Sirius remembered the obvious questions. "Wait! You saw me? How? Where's James? Why am I not a ghost?"
For the second time that day, Regulus found himself explaining the impossible.
...

"James!" Sirius cried. He sprinted up to his friend and received a long- overdue hug. Sirius was smiling but had a mess of tears running down his face.

"Thank you for taking care of Harry," James said.

"But I didn't," Sirius told him, pulling away from the hug and avoiding eye contact. "I died."