Sirius's Letter

I wrote this a long time ago. It's from Tonks's pov.

"What kind of food should we get?" I asked.

"Chinese takeout," Remus said.

I agreed, even though I didn't know what that was.

After we bought the food, we apparated to Sirius's house.

He wasn't expecting us, so we set the food down in the kitchen and called him. When he didn't respond, we decided to look for him.

We searched for him for about ten minutes, but he was still nowhere to be found.

"I'm starting to get worried," Remus said.

"Me too." I didn't want to tell him that everything was going to be okay. If it's not, why lie?

I went upstairs while Remus was still looking for Sirius on the main floor. Carefully, I crept down the hall, listening for any telltale sounds. If Sirius was going to run off, I would catch him.

I thought I heard a soft noise coming from his bedroom. It could have been Buckbeak wandering around. I stood outside the door for a minute, listening, and then walked in without knocking. Aurors are used to being able to do that.

I didn't see him, but I had a gut feeling he was in the room. I walked around to the other side of his bed. It was one of those antique wooden ones, so it would be easy for him to hide behind it and wait until I left to try to escape.

I found him sitting on the floor behind it, just like I guessed he would be. He had his head in his hands. I calmly sat down next to him.

Just then, I heard Remus walk in. He immediately found us and sat next to me. None of us moved or said a word for a really long time. It seemed like hours.

I noticed there was a piece of parchment and a picture lying on the floor next to Sirius. It looked like a letter. Remus reached over and picked up the papers. He folded the picture inside the parchment and slid it into his coat pocket.

Finally, Sirius looked up. His face was red and wet with tears.

"I'm gonna kill him!" he screamed, his gray eyes swimming with rage.

Neither Remus nor I so much as flinched.

"Taking revenge isn't going to bring James and Lily back. You'll just be like him," Remus reasoned with him. I knew he was referring to his own feelings as well. He'd had a long time to think about it since his last encounter with Peter Pettigrew.

"I can't do anything useful here! It feels like I'm being smothered by this disgusting house! I might as well be back in Azkaban!" Sirius complained.

We waited in silence for him to calm down. I turned to Remus and indicated the papers in his pocket. Reluctantly, he handed them over to me. I kept them, hoping to get a better look at them later.

"I'm hungry," Sirius said.

"We brought you stir fry. It's your favorite, right?" Remus said.

Sirius nodded, and we all went downstairs to eat.