Four

I took a few more steps back. 

"Talk to me about what..."

"What if I told you I could make your life better. I could get you away from your abusive dad, your dark past, your self hate."

"What are you talking about... How do you know who I am? Why do you know these things?!" 

"I've been watching you. Not in a creepy way, you're not the only one. I see something in you I don't see in many. Strength. You've been through hell and yet you push through. I want to help you finish the push." What is he talking about... Im so scared...

"I'm so confused. Have you been stalking me?"

"No, of course not. More like guarding. Listen, I'm not like you. I'm not human. Neither is Scott. We're different. Special if you will."

"What do you mean not human..."

"Now you may freak out but I'll tell you now, the first thing that will come to mind is not at all what I'm like. Some are, but not me. Understand that I'm not the bad guy."

"What the hell."

"Melanie, I'm a werewolf. An Alpha, also known as a pack leader, and I want you to join me. Become a beta and join my pack."

"ARE YOU INSANE?! Werewolves don't exist! You're crazy!" 

"I'm not. I've been this way since I was born. I come from a family of them. I will explain my past if you consent to join me. I've recruited others as well, and they all agreed. I need four, I have two. Trust me, this won't be easy. The choice is with you. We face struggles every day. There are hunters, looking to kill us. Your pal Allison, she's one of them. Her family, the Argents, its their job. Though this should probably make you want to turn and run right now I'll have you know that we are currently not on their priority list. This most likely won't last though, its only a matter of time before they find out that Scott and Allison are sneaking around. It will be worth it though, your life will improve. You will become stronger, smarter, better looking, and all injuries heal without any treatment. Its in your hands now." This is crazy. He has to be lying. 

"So I agree to become one of you and My dad will leave me alone?" 

"Not exactly, but you always have the option to come live with me and the others."

"How do I know you're not lying?" I ask. I can't believe I'm not more freaked out about this. Derek looked me straight in the eye for a moment before looking down at the ground. Then he began to... change. He grew hair everywhere. his ears changed, he sprouted claws, and his eyes turned bright red. 

"Believe me now?' He said. I nodded, wide-eyed. He changed back and said 

"Its your choice now. I've trusted you with this secret, now its up to you." I could leave home. I could be done. No more abuse. No more flaws. I could be perfect. 

'Who else has joined you?" I asked.

"Theres a few that I've considered. Issac Lahey agreed. There may be a problem there though because his father was murdered that same night. Issac insists he didn't do it. Which leads me to our next problem I should warn you about. Something is up. We haven't figured it out yet, but we could be dealing with something very serious. Another reason I need you." Issac's one of them...

"Any other possibly life threatening things you'd like to warn me about?" I asked.

"Well, the head Werewolf hunter is your principal."

"Fantastic." I replied. Somehow, even with all this shit that seems to be going down I still feel like I should agree.

"Lucky for you, the full moon was two days ago so you have time to adjust before being forced to change."

"I feel very lucky."

"Another girl has also agreed. Erica Reyes."

"I don't know her."

"Well you will. There's another boy I'm going to ask. Hopefully, He'll be my fourth."

"Wait, isn't Scott part of your "pack"?" I asked.

"Not exactly... he doesn't trust me, but I'm working on it." The pieces all seem to fit. Whats the risk of being hunted if I could finally escape my dad and my past? 

"What do I have to do to become one of you?" 

"Simple, I bite you."