'And you were attempting to use me to break the curse,' Aubranael said. He spoke as angrily as he could, in order to smother the stirrings of sympathy he was beginning to feel. He of all people understood her pain.

'I thought you would understand me,' she said, unconsciously echoing his thoughts. 'I was going to tell you the truth in time!'

'After we had been bound together for eternity?' he said acidly.

'I would have made you happy,' she said, with a salacious smile he found thoroughly unnerving.

'I doubt that. And what of Miss Landon? What have you done with her?'

'Nothing too terrible, if that is what is worrying you.'

'Of course it is worrying me! Do you feel nothing at all?'

'Not often, no,' said Hidenory with perfect unconcern. 'Not anymore.'

'Where is Sophy?'

'She went through the door.'

'Which door?'

'The same door you went through.'

'So she is at Grunewald's house?'

Hidenory rolled her eyes. 'No, of course not. What use is a door that always opens in the same place?'

'Quite useful, as a rule,' said Aubranael. He stood up and crossed to her chair, allowing every shred of anger he could muster to show upon his face. He was able to loom over her quite satisfactorily from this position. 'Where is Sophy?' he repeated.

Hidenory smiled up at him. 'Truthfully, I have very little idea.'

For a moment Aubranael was sorely tempted to hit her. That smirking smile of hers...! The brazen way she admitted to him that she had lost his love! But she was a lady, even if she was evil, and besides, he did not hit people who were at a disadvantage.

He did not hit people at all, come to think of it.

He took a deep breath and said, with as much calm as he could manage: 'Tell me what happened.'

Hidenory's recitation was brief, and within a very few minutes he had the whole story. Sophy had gone through the door, expecting to find help on the other side. But she had been knowingly sent into a trap. Tut-Gut had a reputation in Aylfenhame: he was not among the most evil of the fae, but he had a vicious side, and he was very willing to put to use any lost souls who wandered into his cottage.

Aubranael began to lose the little concern he had felt for Hidenory's safety. Unceremoniously he grabbed a handful of her robes in one hand and her arm in the other, and hauled her to her feet.

'We are going to find Miss Landon,' he hissed at her. 'You are going to help us, or I will personally ensure that your personal curse becomes the least of your worries.'

Hauling Hidenory behind him, he opened the front door of the parsonage to find Mr. Ellerby standing on the other side.

'Ah,' said the other young man. 'The ladies were beginning to feel concerned.'

'We will be taking this lady to see Mr. Balligumph,' said Aubranael, shoving Hidenory forward. 'And then we are going to the Outwoods of Aylfenhame to find Miss Landon.'

'Oh,' said Mr. Ellerby. 'Very well.'

Aubranael was surprised—nay, astonished—to find Grunewald awaiting them at the bridge. He was sitting with Mr. Balligumph, sipping a cup of tea and looking thoroughly comfortable. The Goblin King smiled pleasantly at Aubranael and Mr. Ellerby, and then smiled upon Hidenory with very warm approval.