Part 29

Half an hour later, Aubranael knocked at the door of the parsonage, feeling tense and curiously exposed. e dhadh jda'

He was alone, at least ostensibly: the Ellerbys, Thundigle, Mary and Miss Daverill were sitting in his carriage just around a turn in the road, out of sight of the parsonage but close enough to come to his aid. Mr. Balligumph had stayed at the bridge; he was calling in his many "associates", he said, gathering every scrap of information he could about Miss Landon's actions over the past few days (either one of the Miss Landons, that is). Pharagora was assisting him in some unspecified way.

Aubranael's task was to confront the version of Miss Landon who was currently staying at the parsonage. He was not surprised when no immediate answer came in response to his knock; she must first establish that it was him, and not one of Sophy's friends coming to complicate her masquerade. Once she had established that to her satisfaction, she would come to the door.

And the door opened, revealing the old woman he had met the last time. It occurred to him—rather belatedly—to feel some relief at the morning's revelations, for it meant that that the curse afflicting the person before him had nothing to do with his Sophy.

'Miss Landon,' he said with what he hoped was his usual smile.

'Ah! Mr. Stanton!' she said winningly, beckoning him inside. 'I was hoping very much to see you this morning.'

He followed her through to the parlour, trying his best to appear at ease. 'You are looking well,' he said. 'I trust you are in good health?'

She sat down with curious grace, given her appearance, and chuckled. 'I look in the very best of health, do I not? I believe these rags are very becoming.'

'Why do you wear the rags?' he asked, with real curiosity. 'I presume it is merely the appearance of age that is beyond your control; not the attire as well.'

She shrugged one shoulder, her expression suddenly bleak. 'But why would I bother? I will be ugly however I choose to garb myself.'

Aubranael could think of no sensible response to such a statement, especially in the face of the violent bitterness she evidently felt at her condition. Instead he said, 'And how is Felebre? I have not seen her since my visit to your abode. Why, that must be a full month at least.'

'She is, as usual, an enigma,' came the reply. 'I do not see her for weeks, and then all at once she will arrive with some—' Abruptly she broke off, and stared at Aubranael with such obvious consternation that he could not help smiling.

'Hello, Hidenory,' he said.

The silence stretched as Hidenory visibly attempted to find a way to prolong the masquerade. But then she sighed gustily, and slumped in her chair. 'And it was all going so well,' she said peevishly. 'A curse upon all clever gentlemen! The stupid ones are, after all, so much more worth knowing.'

'A curse?' Aubranael repeated. 'Truly?'

'No, of course not,' she snapped. 'I am not a complete monster.'

'That remains to be seen,' said Aubranael coldly. 'Your behaviour does require some explanation.'

'It is true about the curse.'

'So you did just curse me!'

Hidenory smiled maliciously at him. 'Perhaps he is just a little bit stupid, after all,' she said, apparently to herself. 'No, foolish boy, the curse upon me. Only it is not so very obliging as to afflict me for only a few days every month. I must spend each and every day in this abominable guise! Every daylight minute! Only at night may I return to a more... pleasing shape.'