They came to a stop outside of a large mahogany door with brass knobs. The principal gave Phil a reassuring pat on the back that seemed a bit too stiff before he lead the way in.

The teacher, a man with long brown hair and glowing green eyes, stopped mid-sentence and smiled expectantly at the two. "Ah, Principal Glickstern! Is this the new student?"

The principal nodded, nudging Phil forward. "This is Phil Lester and he will be in your care for today, Mr. Parker. He needs a partner assigned who can show him around campus and help him with his studies."

Mr. Parker gave a worried look to the principal that was quickly washed away with another grin. "Very well. The only person who doesn't have a partner yet is Dan Howell," he openly cringed at the name when several students let out quiet gasps. "You may sit next to him for today, all the way in the seat at the back."

Phil followed his pointing finger to an empty space in the back where a guy with brown hair was leaning back in his chair with a book over his face, clearly sleeping. His feet were on the desk in front of him, clad in spiked shoes that should have been against the school's rules.

Shrugging off the feeling of unease, he strode over to the brunette, sitting down confidently next to him. "Hi," he greeted enthusiastically, taking notice of the students who had turned around in their seats to watch the exchange. "I'm Phil Lester. Looks like I was assigned to be your partner."

The brunette reached up a large hand with pale fingers, taking the book off his face with a smooth motion. His eyes opened and focused on Phil's face, and he realized with a clenched stomach that this guy had stunning brown eyes with a tinge of red in their depths.The only problem was that they were ice cold, like he had absolutely no feelings at all. On his ears were a pair of earrings, one black and one red, and Phil realized with a jolt that these were power restraints.

The only way Phil realized this was because he had a power restraint in the form of a bracelet that was clasped on his arm the moment he walked into the academy. They had told him it was for safety reasons, to assure that his power wouldn't be used in such a way that it could be dangerous. When he had asked why he needed such a thing if the only power he had was to control water, the principal had only responded with,

"Did you know that blood is made out of mostly water?"

Phil shivered when he thought of using his power for such an act.

"Shut the fuck up, ugly," the 'Dan' kid snarled, giving him a look right out of the depths of hell.

Phil's stomach sank, but he smiled anyways because his mother always taught him to be nice to people no matter what they say, because you never know what ultimately forms a personality such as this, or why they seem to hate the world.

"I was assigned as your partner," Phil stated, getting a notebook from his bag. "I'm Phil Lester. I assume you're Dan? It's nice to meet-."

"I said," Dan growled once more, "shut the fuck up."

In an instant, Phil's notebook caught on fire, the red and blue flames seeming to represent a part of Dan's soul. Angry, seeming to never rest. Phil was saddened that he could pick up this much from him even though they'd just met.

With a sigh, Phil put his right hand over the flame while his left hand dipped into a water bottle that he never fails to always carry. He shut his eyes, feeling the heat of the flame on his skin, feeling the coolness of the water as it trailed into his fingertips.

The flame disappeared into a mass of steam, and Phil directed it back into his water bottle where it melted back into water.

The entire class was silent except for the teacher, who seemed to have droned on despite the ruckus that was taking place in the back. Phil looked up to find dozens of eyes on his face, a pair of dark burgundy eyes holding cold fire in their depths as well.