Chapter Five

"PJ!" Phil shouted, ignoring the row of heads that turned towards him when he belted out Dan Howell's best friend's name. He put the surprised glances that his classmates wore to the back of his mind, focusing on the task at hand.

His task? Well, he'd promised the special ability class that he would get PJ Ligouri to join in on their haunted house expedition so he would go to the pits of Hell and back until he had achieved his goal.

Thankfully, Dan was nowhere in sight, otherwise this would have been a heck of a lot more difficult (and dangerous). All that was left was PJ's venomous grimace as he turned to cringe in Phil's direction. He didn't speak, his entire demeanor closed off as if he wanted to be anywhere else than in Phil's presence.

Phil took that as a challenge, an invitation to talk, a wide grin taking over his features. Be nice no matter what. "I'm here to change your mind!"

If possible, PJ looked even more annoyed. His shoulders sunk into his body and strands of curly brunette hair fell into emerald eyes, fingers tearing at a piece of thread unravelling from his uniform. "It's not going to happen."

Phil pouted out a lip, trying to make eye contact with him despite the fact that PJ was literally trying his damnedest not to look him in the eye. "Why not?"

"It's a stupid idea and I have no interest being a part of anything to do with that level of stupidity."

"What are you so afraid of?" At the lack of response from PJ, Phil knew he had struck a cord and decided to dig a little bit deeper. He took a step closer to the brunet, making sure that all other venturing ears wouldn't be able to hear their discussion. It wasn't like he was trying to embarrass PJ, of course not, but a little bit of psychological digging could always help his argument a bit. "Is it because you don't think your power is scary? Being completely honest, any power could be frightening if you put your heart into it, so if that's the reason, don't hold yourself back."

"That's not-." PJ cut himself off at Phil's searching gaze, immediately backing down.

So that's how it is.

"I'll make you a deal. Do the haunted house with us and I'll never bother you again. If you keep refusing like this, I'll continue bothering you and I'm sure we both don't want that."

PJ let out a loud groan, digging his fingers into his eyelids. "Fine," he snarled. "I'll do your fucking haunted house, Lester. But if you ever talk to me again afterwards, I'll personally strangle you."

Phil grinned triumphantly, pumping his fists into the air. He resisted the urge to kiss PJ's cheek and instead, just to piss him off, blew a kiss towards him. "I knew I could count on you, Peej!" At the look on PJ's face, Phil decided heatedly that it was definitely past his time to leave, and turned to walk into the special ability classroom so he could gloat about how he got PJ fucking Ligouri to agree to participate.

That was, until he ran into a brick wall.

"Oi, Lester. Have you been antagonizing PJ?"

Cursing under his breath because he really did not need to be interrogated by Dan at the moment, Phil glanced up at him through his fringe. He could feel his cheeks turning a gross shade of non-translucent red under the cool gaze of Dan's brown eyes. All he could think of was how Dan looked when he was sleeping next to him, seemingly so much younger, and Phil needed to stop that right now. "Ah- no, I just had a question about the special ability class." He turned to PJ, feeling like an awkward sandwich between two of the biggest assholes in Dahlia Academy. "I'm not bothering you, right PJ?"