The Council (part 2)

Elrond added to Gandalf's train of thought, "You have only one choice: the Ring most be destroyed."

Everyone looked at the Ring wondering how we were going to do such a thing.

"What are we waiting for?" A dwarf grumbled. He grabbed an ax and made his way over to the Ring.

He raised his ax above his head and brought it down forcefully.

The dwarf flew back at the impact the ax made with the Ring. The ax shattered into pieces on the table with a loud noise.

The dwarf looked at the Ring in surprise that it didn't break.

I deed voice uttering Black Speech entered my head. I looked away from the awful Ring and closed my eyes.

It went into a whisper, then it ceased.

"The Ring cannot be destroyed, Gimli, son of Gloin," Lord Elrond sighed, "For any craft that we posses. The Ring was made in the fires of Mount Doom and only there can it be unmade."

A hush fell over the council. All were looking at the small, but evil, gold ring that lay in front of them.

"And must be taken deep into Mordor to be cast back into the fiery chasm from whence it came!" Lord Elrond stated.

"One of you must do this."

Everyone processed his words thinking of any other way, but this one. But it was the only way.

"One does not simply walk into Mordor," Boromir said with his head in his hand, "It's Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep. And the Great Eye is ever watchful."

This guy doesn't know when to stop talking.

"It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire, and ash, and dust. The very air you breathe is a poisonous fume," he paused, "Not with ten thousand men could you do this. It is folly."

I rolled my eyes as he finished speaking.

Legolas shot up, "Have you heard nothing Lord Elrond just said? The Ring must be destroyed!"

Gimli shot up also, "And I suppose you think you are the one to do that?" He said harshly.

They glared at each other as Boromir started stating his thoughts (again), "And if we fail what then? What happens when Sauron takes back what is his?"

I had enough of his negativity towards this.

"Then we shall fight!" I argued with him.

He glared at me and looked as if he were going to say something, but was interrupted by Gimli.

"I will be dead before I see the Ring in the hands of an Elf!" He shouted at Legolas.

The other Elves jumped up and started arguing with the Dwarves.

Soon everyone was fighting. Even Gandalf! The only ones who weren't were Aragorn, Frodo, Lord Elrond, Lindir, and me.

"Never trust an Elf!" I heard Gimli yell over the shouting.

I buried my head in my hands and sighed.

"I will take it!" Someone yelled.

I looked up to see Frodo standing before the men.

"I will take it!" He said again. No one heard him over the shouting besides those who weren't in the fight.

I would have helped Frodo stop the fighting, but all I could do was stare at him in awe.

"I will take it!" Frodo said louder this time.

Gandalf and the rest quieted and turned towards the brave Hobbit.

"I will take the Ring to Mordor!" Frodo announced the group now that he had everyone's attention.

Gandalf smiled warmly at Frodo.

"Though I do not know the way," Frodo noted.

Gandalf stepped forward, "I will help you bare this burden Frodo Baggins. As long as it's yours to bare."

Frodo smiled thankfully at Gandalf's words. Gandalf moved behind Frodo with a hand on Frodo's shoulder.

Everyone was still shocked that out of all people a Hobbit would take this task.

Aragorn stood up and strode over, "By my life or death I can protect you. I will," he kneeled in front of Frodo, "You have my sword."

"And you have my bow!" Legolas joined.

"And my ax!" Gimli claimed. As he and Legolas stood together they looked uncomfortable. Which was quite amusing.

Boromir made his way through the crowd of men, "You carry the fate of us all little one. If this is indeed the thought of the council, Gondor will see it done."

There was no way Gandalf was going on an adventure without me!

I stood up and knelt in front of Frodo, "You will not go through this alone Master Baggins. I will help you through this until the end."

He nodded his head at me and I smiled warmly at him.

I stood by Gandalf who was smiling down at me.

"Here! Mr. Frodo's not going anywhere without me!" Sam said as he ran from his hiding place.

"No indeed. It is hardly possible to separate you when he is summoned to a secret council and you are not!" Lord Elrond said amusingly.

I smiled at the pair with an amused smile on my face.

"Oi! We're coming to!," Merry shouted from his hiding place with Pip, "You'll have to send us tied up in a sack to stop us!"

They ran by Elrond who watched in astonishment as the two ease dropped on the secret council. They stood on the other side of Frodo.

"Anyways you need people of intelligence on this... mission- quest... thing," Pip added with a nod at the end.

"Well that rules you out Pip!" Merry whispered to Pippin.

I suppressed my laughter from Merry's joke.

"Ten companions. So be it! You shall be the fellowship of the Ring!" Elrond announced.

"Right!," Pippin said, "Where are we going?"

I placed a hand on Frodo's shoulder and whispered in his ear, "You have quite the amusing friends there Frodo."

I turned to give me a grin, "You have no idea."