The Carter File: a short story

Molly slowly opened her large green eyes and blinked at the glowing red numbers on the bedside clock cutting through the dark. 1:30 AM it silently announced. Perfect. The meeting would be starting in half an hour, giving her more than enough time to grab a quick snack and check on the rest of the house before heading out.

Slowly stretching her long lithe limbs, she arched her back and let out a satisfied sigh. Getting to her feet, she stretched once more for good measure. The nap had been a good one. The kind of nap that left one feeling rejuvenated and clear-headed.

Before exiting to the kitchen, Molly gave a quick look over her shoulder. Thomas was still fast asleep. His mouth slightly ajar, a soft snore tickling the back of his throat. Contented that her movements hadn't awoken him, she padded down the hall to stir up some grub.

Moving quietly from room to room, Molly checked each door and window to make sure they were securely locked. She then made a point to check on each sleeping person, taking extra care with the children. Satisfied that their breathing was regular and all was well, she headed for the back door.

Once outside, she broke into a fast trot, sticking to the shadows. She hurried to the McCreedy's barn across the field from the small farmhouse she made her home. The night was crisp with the first inklings of fall. Molly loved how the cold air felt rushing past her ears.

Molly made it to the McCreedy's yard just as the distant town clock tower gave a double chime. At the same moment, Angel's long-limbed figure came into view from the opposite side of the yard followed by her younger sisters, Bets, and Paige. The trio nodded a silent hello to Molly, and together the four of them entered the barn together.

Inside the barn, a group of about twenty had gathered in the shadowy space whose darkness was periodically interrupted by shafts of blue moonlight seeping through the cracked and weather-worn roof. The effect was melodramatic, adding to the tension felt by all in attendance.

"As you all know, we are here to discuss a very serious matter," proclaimed Miss Cups' confident voice, quieting the din produced by small talk and greetings from the meeting's attendees. She stood on the far side of the barn from where Molly had entered atop a makeshift stage supplied by farmer McCreedy's dilapidated tractor. Seeing that she had everyone's attention, Miss Cups continued, "So far, three of our numbers have fallen prey to the vile beast posing as the human Mrs. Mary Carter. This alien creature has taken up residence in our fair and humble community, keeping hoards of maddening parakeets, and poisoning felines every chance she gets!" Miss Cups swished her tail with agitation, punctuating her words.

Mrs. Carter was of the alien race known as the Lyrans. As far as cats were concerned, these aliens were either the best or the worst thing to take up residence on earth. This particular breed of alien had a penchant for keeping small, cute creatures as pets. These included hedgehogs, birds, most breeds of small dogs, rodents, and even cats. This scenario was always mutually beneficial when cats were the object of affection but usually went terribly awry when other small fluffy creatures were the "pet" of choice. As one can imagine, cats also have a great taste, so to speak, for small, fuzzy creatures. This ended up being a point of contention between the Lyrans and the cats, especially since Lyrans took to poisoning the offending felines, causing local cat populations to retaliate.

"The presence of this interloper must be eradicated before more harm can come to us!" Miss Cups announced, raising her hackles. "We must do away with this menace before more of us are harmed."

"What do you suggest we do?" asked a gruff voice from the back of the barn.

Molly turned her head to see who had spoken. A large ally cat emerged from the shadows, revealing smart yellow eyes in a large orange head.