Chapter 3. Meet the Crown Prince

Start from the beginning

"Die... Niang... Xiankunzhong... what happened?? What matters are troubling you? Please, tell your daughter..." I asked again to all of them worriedly, I saw my big brother took a big breath as he stared at our parents.

Die sighed and nodded weakly. "Xiulan, my Ling ai... the Emperor and Empress gave me an offer... and it is something that your father is not able to reject. So I ask them to wait for a while... because I need to ask you, first." He explained bitterly.

I sighed in relieved as I smiled at my father. "What could the offer be, Die?? If Xiulan can do it, this daughter of yours will do her best to do that..." I answered gratefully.

Niang and Xiankunzhong's expressions turned darken hearing my direct answer. Was something wrong with my answer? Was the offer that difficult?

"Xiulan...please don't force it if you cant do it. Actually Huangdi wants to marry you off with her son, the Crown prince..." Diē told me.

As if something just fell down on my head, I gasped turning pale all of a sudden, with my heart thumping like crazy I turned to see my Niang who was crying loudly now. I should know I couldn't take this offer that easy. It was hard to reject because it was a direct proposal from the Emperor himself. My family would be in danger if we refused this offer with such an unbelievable reason.

Niang held my hands tightly, as her other hand cupping my cheek sadly. "Xiulan...Please don't do this thing... we are not able to change the fact that you are a guy. It will be dangerous for you Ling ai... please... listen to Niang... Niang doesn't care if your Die's position should be changed or our family will be turned as commoners. It is hard for Niang if you should be put in dangerous..." she begged painfully.

I stared at my mother's teary eyes, how painful it was for me to see her crying like this. I let my tears pouring down from the corner of my eyes. It was hard to decide... I would never change the fact that I was a guy... even though I lived up my life as a girl and had everything that other girls envying of... but my gender could not be denied right?? It would be so dangerous for me if the Emperor was to know about this.

"Xiulan... please don't think about it too much. I will tell the Emperor that you cannot marry the Crown Prince... Although we will be poor if I am not being minister anymore. But Die wont let you all dying for foods." Die grabbed me as he hugged me into his warmth.

Xiankunzhong gave me his weak smile and he patted my shoulder gently. "Don't think about it too much Xiulan... I will help father to get work too... so everything will gonna be okay." He finally spoke up.

Ah, what would all of these turn to be like this? Why my family? Why...? How could I let my father lose his position, if he were to lose his position there would be more commoners to die because of those hungry Ministers who were corrupted.

"Xiulan will marry him, Die, Niang, Xiankunzhong..." I answered firmly.

They gasped as their eyes widened in surprised. I knew it shocked them so much, but if this thing was the only thing I can do for them, if this was the only thing I could do to protect my family, to protect those poor people. I would be willing to do it even though it would be the death of me.

"Xiulan... think about it first... Niang beg to you Xiulan. You will be dead if they are to find out your true gender, my daughter..." Niang cried loudly, she grabbed my shoulder into her grips as she looked into my eyes. Sadness and fear were all I could see when I saw her.

"Xiulan... I will regret it for the rest of my life if I put you in danger Xiulan." I looked towards my father who was holding my hands tightly.

"Think it again Xiulan! You are my only meimei (little sister), I cant let you in danger although I should sacrifice myself to have you safe and sound, Xiulan." Xiankunzhong cried out.