Chapter 16

"So how'd the date go?" Ashton asked as I got in his car.

I gave an exasperated sigh. "It wasn't a date, Ashton. It would've been if it was you instead of him, but it wasn't."

"I'm sure he saw it as a date." He laughed, pulling out of the driveway making our way to Jeep's.

"Oh, shut up!" I laughed, pushing at his shoulder. "He's a good friend, that's all. You of all people should know that, him being like a brother to you and all."

"I know, I know. I'm just teasing, no need to get physical. Unless..." he turned his head to me with a smirk.

I rolled my eyes. "Oh stop it. We both know I'm nowhere close to even considering that."

Ashton laughed hysterically and rested his hand on my knee, giving it a gentle rub. "I know, babe. I know. I don't wanna live up to Caleb's thoughts about me."

"We're not going to talk about him. It was funny, Luke called him a dick and said he looked like a punk yesterday," I said, laughing quietly to myself.

"Yeah, I can see what he means. But anyways, back to the question here. How'd the 'not a date' go?"

"It went pretty well. Luke's a really nice guy."

"I hope he wasn't too nice," Ashton said.

"My oh, my. Is Ashton Irwin getting, dare I say...jealous?" I teased.

"Not in the least," he said with a chuckle. "Just curious to how this damn thing went! It must not have been bad since you're in a good mood today."

"I don't see why it would have gone bad since you know he and I are friends."

"Well I don't know!" He said in a way that made me laugh like crazy. "You're so weird," he said, shaking his head with a smile.

"I'm weird? Yeah okay. Keep telling yourself that, babe." I grinned.

"So did he look good all dressed up and stuff?" 

"Yeah I guess. Not as cute as you looked in your suit," I said.

"But he did look good?"

"Oh Ashton, just stop."

"What! I'm curious. I'm starting to think he did too good of a job taking my place."

"Ashton, listen to me." He looked me in the eye as he stopped at a stop light. "No one could ever take your place. He and I had fun like any other pair of friends would, okay? Caleb and I never looked at each other as love interests and I definitely don't look at Luke as one either. You're the only boy I've ever loved and it's staying that way. Okay?"

"Forever?"

I was about to answer but the light turned green. "Ashton, go. The light changed."

"I'm not going anywhere, yet." He grinned.

"Ashton, people are honking their horns, I'll answer when you drive!"

"Nope," he said, his lips making a popping noise at the end of the word.

I leaned in and cupped his cheek with my hand, pulling my face close to his. "Forever, Ashton!" I whisper-yelled and kissed him quick. "Now go!"

He pressed his foot on the accelerator. "That wasn't so hard now, was it?" He smiled, biting his lip, keeping his eyes on the road as he drove.

I smiled, shaking my head at his stubbornness.

------------

We sat in our usual booth at Jeep's and looked through the menu.