Nine

*Flashback*

After confessing their feelings for each other, Emma and Regina were going on their first date. Emma wanted to surprise Regina with a picnic in the woods. She'd spent hours setting it up with candles and wine. She hoped Regina would like it.

Emma shows up the mansion practically shaking from her nerves. She'd never been like this before a date before. But there was just something about Regina. All she could think about was making this woman smile.

"Hey," Emma smiles when Regina opens the door. "I brought you daisies, roses seemed too cliche."

"Thank you." Regina smiles before she lets out a small sneeze. "They're lov-" she sneezes again.

"Oh gosh you're allergic." Emma groans, mentally facepalming herself. "I-I should have gone with the-"

"It's fine." Regina says. "I'll just set these inside and we can go."

Once they leave, things seem to go smooth. There was none of that awkward silence that typically comes with first dates. It was one of the pros to being friends first. Emma drives them to the entrance of the woods and then they walk the rest of the way.

"Emma." Regina gasps when she sees the scene Emma had set up for them. "This...is perfect."

"Here, let me light the candles." Emma smiles as Regina sits on the soft blanket Emma had laid out.

Once the candles are lit and the wine is poured Emma and Regina begin to eat the sandwiches Emma had packed. Emma winces when she suddenly realizes she'd handed Regina the tuna instead of the chicken. Regina hated tuna.

"Wait don't eat that!" Emma exclaims reaching for Regina's wrist. In the process she manages to knock Regina's red wine into her lap. "Oh no! I'm so sorry!"

"It-it's fine." Regina stutters reaching for a napkin.

"Here let me help you." Emma leans across but manages to knock over the candle. Regina manages to jump right in time and stop the candle from landing on her or anything else flammable. "Oh my....I-I'm ruining everything."

She can feel the hot tears on her cheeks. This was supposed to be a perfect night, but she'd seemed to screw everything up. Regina was going to run now and never date her again. To Emma's surprise Regina giggles.

"This isn't funny!" Emma cries. "I wanted to make a good impression."

"Emma, you already have." Regina says softly as she moves to sit next to the blonde. "I love what you did for me, but Em, you don't have to be nervous. You're trying too hard. You already have my heart."

"I just..." Emma huffs. "I wanted this to be perfect."

"Emma, being here with you is perfect." Regina assures the blonde.

"I'm sorry about your dress." Emma says. "I hope the stain comes out."

"It will." Regina lies, knowing that it never would. "Emma, thank you for tonight."

"Maybe next time it won't be such a disaster." Emma replies hopefully. Regina chuckles,

"Maybe next time we should leave the planning to me." Regina teases. Emma smiles, finally feeling a little relief. Regina still wanted to be with her. She hadn't ruined her chances.