Chapter Twelve

I slumped down onto the floor, unsure what to do with myself. Astrid was shaking, fuming with anger. I think she was angry at me ... probably for leaving my phone in my bag. Then again, I couldn't have really taken it with me.

Astrid got into her bed, shutting the lights off. It didn't make a difference, I could still see everything perfectly. I froze as the door slammed open. Astrid shouted in protest as somebody went over to her bed and ripped the covers off her.

The hairs on my back stood up. I raised slowly to my feet, my lips curling.

"RYAN!" Astrid yelled, switching a lamp on. I didn't stop growling. I felt my claws scrape the floor, leaving marks everywhere. I flattened my ears, gleaming, my fangs protruding from my lips.

Ryan turned around and stared. My growling grew to a low snarl, my eyes narrowed. He gulped. "Astrid, who's this?"

Completely oblivious to my actions, Astrid shrugged. "I don't know, he followed me home. I said he could stay for a night."

"You do realise this is a wolf you're talking about, right?" Ryan's tone had changed, he looked perfectly fine, though he tripped as I snuck closer, my fangs still gleaming.

"Of course he isn't a - " Astrid snapped her mouth closed as she stared at me. I hadn't moved from my position. "He's ... he's a wolf?!"

I turned my head to Astrid. How did she not see that? I was as tall as she is! God, what is wrong with her?

"How did I not see that before?" Astrid stood and paced around the room.

"Maybe because you're too blind?" I snarled at Ryan who whimpered. "I'm sorry! Now tell him to back off!" I didn't move. "Astrid, please!"

There was a few moments of silence before Astrid broke it. "OK, OK. Leave him boy." I stared at Astrid again. I wanted to rip Ryan apart for what a prick he was being. My ears twitched. "Let him go," Astrid said sternly.

I huffed, glaring at Ryan once more before retreating to the window. I looked out as I heard Ryan scramble out the room. My eyes widened as I realised my notepad was gone ... there was footprints leading from the mud to ... to the house.

RYAN!

It must have been him, who else?

"Did you hear something?" Astrid asked. I shrugged.

I hadn't heard Astrid's 'parents' arrive home and yet, it was only us three in the house. I checked the time on Astrid's clock. 10:00 pm.

I waited and waited until, finally. Astrid was asleep by half past. I quickly snuck out her room and ran to Ryan's. His door was ajar. I peered through the gap. He was sat in a chair, his back to me. On a nearby desk I saw he had managed to salvage one drawing.

It was my favourite one ... of Astrid ...

He picked it up and examined it closely. I squinted my eyes as I directed my eyesight to the corner of the page. I had signed it. Ryan seemed to be staring at the exact location I was.

"Great drawing Harry. Now why don't you come in?"

I swear I stopped breathing. He doesn't ... he couldn't ... how does ... how did he ... what?

I dragged myself through his door. Ryan turned to face me. He was expressionless. "So," he said, "you've finally Shifted." I stared at him. "The Alpha has been waiting for this, you'll meet him tomorrow."

Ok, ok, this is making no sense. According to Ryan, I have an Alpha which suggests - and probably is true - that I am part of a pack. This so-called 'Alpha' wants to meet me tomorrow.

"Harry, you can speak with your thoughts ya know, I'd be able to hear them."

Really?

Ryan nodded. "Why haven't you told Astrid yet?"

The question caught me off guard. What do you mean 'why'?

"She deserves to know, her being your girlfriend and all."

I growled quietly. She isn't my girlfriend.

"Well I thought you two were - "

Well you thought wrong! I had enough problems as it is, one of them being that Astrid isn't my girlfriend. But I love her ...

"I'm sorry," Ryan said, his tone soft, "but you at least need to tell her that you love her."

My legs weakened and I fell to the floor. How did you -

"We're Wolf Shifters. We can read each other's emotions and thoughts when permitted. You need to tell her. You'll regret it otherwise, trust me, I should know."

But I'm a scrawny little runt who no one cares about!

"Scrawny? Little?" Ryan laughed. "Dude, have you seen yourself lately? Girls are head over heels for you!"

I don't care about them! I only have eyes for one girl who I'll never have a chance with!

"Then go get her," Ryan suggested, smirking as I stood up. He was right, I need to tell her, but when? At school? No, no, I'll invite her over.

That's it! I'll do it at home, where I won't be as nervous. I'll ask her tomorrow, at school. If she still isn't mad at me ...

"Hey, Harry?" I glanced back over my shoulder at Ryan. "Protect Astrid, there may be trouble at school tomorrow ... "

What kind of trouble? I put the question to the back of my mind as I left the Hofferson household, heading for my own.