Unthinkable (Doug McDermott)

Happy Birthday FreakAndGeek_!

"You give me a feeling that I never felt before..."

Standing in the mirror, Kay curled an out of place hair and tried to make it as perfect as possible. It was her 20th birthday and she was going out to dinner with one of her best friends. Doug was hanging out on the west coast for a plethora of road games. She was the first person he thought of taking with him, wanting to spoil her for a milestone birthday.

Even though he hadn't told her where they were going, he expressed she should dress nicely but comfortable. He was always full of surprises and this time was no difference. Kay chose a casual dress, leggings and knee length boots. She attempted to add a little height to make their difference less noticeable but who was she kidding? She would still be a foot shorter than him, even with the help of her boots.

But he loves your height

Her subconscious was always there to give her thoughts of Doug beyond friendship. She knew she had some feelings for the man but never vocally expressed them to anyone other than her closest friends. If he didn't like her, she was't going to ruin their friendship because of a silly crush.

You love him, don't deny it

Kay sighed and unplugged the curlers. She was not going to argue with herself tonight. No, she was going to enjoy her birthday with one of her most favorite people in the world. He always put so much effort into the adventures they took together and she refused to ruin his plans.

A few moments later, Kay heard a soft knock at the door. A full smile etched it way onto her face and she found herself rushing towards the door.

"Hey D-" she stopped and saw one of the bellboys from downstairs. He was nearly hidden behind a large bouquet of red roses. She knew their origins immediately, he had been sending them since the two met a couple years ago.

"Delivery for you ma'am," Kay stepped to the side, allowing the young man to enter her room. He placed the beautiful arrangement onto the side table and tipped his hat to her, preparing to leave.

"Wait, your tip!" Kay made a move to grab her purse but was abruptly stopped.

"No ma'am, it's already been taken care of. Happy Birthday and enjoy your night," he tipped his hat once more and disappeared before Kay could question him any further. How did he know it was her birthday?

She stood there, still in awe at the generous gift. Doug never ceased to amaze her. As she plucked the card from the flowers, she didn't notice the figure easing into her room.

Kay,

I'm not good with these things but I just want you to know I think you're the most beautiful woman I've ever met. You've been a great friend and supporter to me. I don't know what I would do without having you by my side through the good times and the bad. I guess what I'm trying to say is....Kay, I love you and I know you love me to. If you're ready baby, I want us to be more than friends. Oh and by the way, you look beautiful.

-Doug

Kay was almost in tears but confused until she felt arms wrap around her middle. She jumped a bit until she saw the familiar watch on his wrist. She turned in his arms and wrapped hers around his neck. He smiled sheepishly at her, a slight blush across his handsome face.

"Happy Birthday beautiful," he whispered and she replied with a kiss to his full lips. Taken back by surprise, Doug kissed her back but pulled away.

"Thank you Doug," Kay rested her chin on his chest, staring up at him. Maybe her subconscious was right and it was time to admit her feelings to him. He claimed he knew how she felt but it was time for him to hear it for himself.

"You never have to thank me, Kay, I love making you happy." Doug leaned in, kissing her forehead. Kay had never felt so loved before and she could feel her walls breaking down. Standing in his arms felt like home and she didn't want to let go.

"I love you Doug, I've been fighting with myself for so long but I'm not anymore. I'm ready to love you and ready for us to take the steps together." Warm tears prickled her eyes and Doug immediately lifted his thumb to catch them before they fell.

"Don't cry baby, are you sure you're ready? I don't want you to feel rushed into a relationship," Doug watched her carefully. The last thing he wanted to was to push her away. She tugged on his shirt collar, bringing him down to her height and kissed him once more.

"I'm ready, I've never been more ready for anything." The two smiled at each other, both with slight blushes across their faces. In an instant, Doug remembered why he had shown up in the first place.

"OH! Before I forget, I bought your birthday present with me! You can open it at the restaurant or now?" Kay gave him a look and he laughed, knowing her answer was definitely now. He fished into his pockets, pulling out a long, velvet box. He held it up for her to take and she beamed, clearly excited.

"What did you get me? Is it a charm bracelet? Or a necklace?" Kay, impatiently, opened the box and saw a couple pieces of paper. Her smile dropped and she appeared slightly. Doug held her waist and tried to a knowing smile.

"You got me a sheet of paper?" her bored tone made him laugh again. He gently squeezed her waist and kissed her temple.

"Read it and see, silly girl." Kay rolled her eyes at him and unfolded the paper.

Kay,

Happy 20th Birthday! Doug told us how important you are to him and that he knew the perfect gift for you. We wanted to help out, so hopefully these are what you wanted! Thank you for being apart o Panther Nation! We'll see you soon and enjoy your birthday!"

-Cam, Luke and Ron

As she unfolded the letter again, two tickets appeared for Super Bowl 50. Kay squealed and jumped up, wrapping her legs around his hips. She planted kisses all over his face as he chuckled, enjoying her happiness.

"WE'RE GOING TO THE SUPER BOWL!! OH MY GOD, I LOVE YOU SO MUCH!" Kay continued kissing him and he couldn't be happier seeing her so excited.

"I promised I'd make this birthday special for you and I told you I'd make sure you never forgot it. I love you Kay and there's no one who deserves this more than you baby. Now, let's head to dinner and we can celebrate the rest of the night." Doug placed her back onto the ground and turned to the door but her small hand kept him in place.

"Or we can stay in and celebrate a different way, I've got a gift you'd love to have as well." Kay bit her lip and tugged the surprised man into her bedroom, shutting the door behind them.

This was definitely a birthday she nor him would ever forget.

**

Happy Birthday Kay!! I hope you liked your gift!