Chapter 1 - Philip Mulligan, Operation Gate Crasher

"They killed them, they killed them all." Talia said, eyes brimming with tears as she looked up at Philip while clutching the severed hand to her chest.

'Grief and despair.' Philip thought looking at her breaking down as the world went to shit around them. Yet he knew it wasn't that long ago that he himself was doing the same thing.

"You gotta get up." He said absently, turning his head in response to the sound of an approaching Advent carrier out in the distance, but she didn't hear him, instead she stared into nothingness, and he could imagine how much she wanted to enter that void, to disappear, to have the pain end instantly. But that would not be a gift he offered.

Instead he yanked her up by the arm and pulled her from the smoldering building, tossing her over his shoulder and moving away from the wreckage, and the body parts that now replaced what was once a simple house, one that all it took was for them to be suspected allies of XCOM. That was enough to sign their death warrants, that was the new world order.

And as far as Philip was concerned, it could go fuck itself.

"Drop zone in two." Iris' voice came over the intercom of the Firebrand, snapping Philip back to reality, not that it was that much different from the thought he was having, but now he had a mission.

"Roger that, Iris." He said into his earpiece and stood, giving his rifle one last check before looking over his squad. It was his first time commanding a team in the field, and thankfully it was small one. Only a team of four, and two of them he had already fought with in battle.

There was Samantha Conrad, she was simple. Even after the fall she continued with college and tried her best to fit in with the new regime, until one day Advent raided her home, they had gotten a tip that her father was a supporter of XCOM, there intel was right and XCOM had mobilized a unit to protect her family, but by the time they got there, the Advent troops had already murdered her father, and they were about to do the same to her but she was saved. After that she joined the resistance, and showed a cunning brutality against all Advent and aliens in the field, she was the first rookie in ages to be given the alias of an Olympian, Athena. But she definitely earned it, though she constantly reminded them that she would've preferred to be called Hades, but Bradford had already made his decision.

Next was Elise Mertens, she was part of the French military, one of their best sharpshooters and one of the earlier XCOM members to survive the fall. Still, as long as she had been a part of XCOM, she was a mystery to most of the troops, the only people who knew her story were Bradford, and Captain Arturo, no one else even came close. Yet there was no one else Philip felt more confident having watch over him on the field, because as long as he'd been a part of the resistance, he'd never seen Elise miss a shot, gaining her the alias Artemis.

The rookie of the lot was Josette Morel, and even with the anger among the everyone in the resistance, she seemed to be right up there with the angriest of them. To Philip though, she was another mystery, he only got the short story from Bradford, she had been captured by Advent forces and during a raid on one of their facilities, the resistance managed to free her and a couple others, and while most of them chose to go to the resistance strongholds, she made a clear she wouldn't stop until every alien burnt, and it was no secret, the resistance was short on soldiers, and she was eager so they readily accepted. Otrera, was what they called her, first Queen of the Amazonians, and a bringer of destruction, Philip was eager to see what she would do.