Chapter Thirty-One- One Time

Start from the beginning

'May the best man win.' Vince said and turned on his heel.

I thought I heard Jerry mutter, it'll be me this time.

Vince took my hand and pulled me along with him.

'Next time, don't be rash. I don't want you to get hurt.' He said gruffly, concealing his emotions.

I nodded. It was definitely complicated and he had a lot of explaining to do but I knew that it wasn't the right time to ask him about it just yet.

'Good luck.' I whispered. Vince smirked, reverting back to his usual self.

'I don't believe in luck, but just in case.' Vince shot me a lopsided grin.

With that, he drank half a bottle of mineral water and climbed into the ring, with Jerry already standing there prepared.

The ring and the bar felt so alien to me, smelling of alcohol and sweat. The people, mostly men were gathered around the ring, having moved from the bar just now to watch this performance.

Above the ring, some words were projected onto the screen. I could just make out the words: Lightning Warrior vs The Dragon

'Let the fight begin.' The commenter of the fight announced in a booming voice.

As the fight started, Vince and Jerry eyed each order suspiciously, circling around the ring in a hypnotic manner.

I was so spellbound by their actions that I didn't see someone slot into the seat beside me.

'Hi Amy. Sorry about just now.' A familiar voice sounded sheepish.

'Oh!' I looked up startled and realized that it was only Alex.

'I mean Jerry is amazing and so good at fights.' Alex said dreamily.

He must still be high on something. I thought sardonically.

Concealing my smirk, I went for a stern look. 'Why didn't you tell me earlier?' I chided.

'Sorry, I didn't know how you will react because you know,' he shrugged uncomfortably.

'It's okay. I'm relieved in fact.' I said, trying to hide my grin once more but failing.

'But you know, I heard that Jerry and Vince are ark enemies.' He lowered his voice.

'Oh?' This was new information for me and I leaned in closer to hear.

'You don't know?' Alex said in disbelief. I shook my head.

'Well I'm not supposed to say why but I guess I will if you're interested.' Alex continued, sounding a little hazy.

Oh my. He really sounded like he was drugged by something.

I knew that something was up but I couldn't resist the temptation to know.

'Do tell.' I said eagerly.

'Jerry hates Vince because he says that after he gets a girl and takes her virginity, he dumps them the next day. He said that he was irritated that Vince was merely toying with your feelings but in fact he does not have any for you.' Alex said, looking sorry and regretful.

What? Was Vince merely toying with my feelings? Although a rational part of me felt that it couldn't be, that it was a mistake, the other parts of me believed it.

I had suspected all along that Vince was not sincere to me, and now there was a confirmation.

"He also mentioned that you had the file that he needed and that was why he was attracted to you in the first place, as he wanted to steal the file from you when you were not noticing." Alex continued, looking apologetic.

My heart felt like it had shattered into a million pieces. I felt so betrayed. I hadn't known that he was one of the thieves that wanted the file so badly. I'd thought that he could be trusted.

I had no idea that he knew about it at all. Now it seemed as if Alex knew more than I did. Fury and disappointment engulfed me.

'I need to leave.' I said abruptly to Alex but clear enough for everyone in the vicinity to hear.

With that, I turned on my heel and walked out of the door, with tears stinging in my eyes, threatening to burst.

A loud murmuring filled the air around me, but I was not concerned, only that I needed to get out of this place as soon as possible.

I thought I heard Vince shout my name but I just ran off as fast as I could without looking back. I just needed to get away from this mess.

When I was outside, my tears started to flow uncontrollably, betraying me.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
New update! I need to apologize so much for this super late update :( I was busy and distracted these few weeks thus couldn't write. Leave a comment please? Remember to vote too :) -Solaire