The Turnabout Demon - Part Four

Start from the beginning

Checking under plants and rummaging through papers, scattering them about the place – and putting them back in a somewhat presentable manner afterwards – Gumshoe found his first vital piece of evidence in the small bin by the Chief's desk. Retrieving the small receipt, he had a little moment of terror when he realised it was the wrong date. Rifling through the bin again produced a lot more receipts, and when all seemed lost, he finally found a receipt for coffee on the right day.

Sighing with relief once more, he tipped the useless receipts back in the bin and looked about the room for more things he could use. Finding nothing out of the ordinary, he left the room feeling more than a little disappointed. He managed to hide behind a filing cabinet as the chief returned, and as he watched the fuming man drag a poor whimpering Bruno back into his office, Gumshoe noticed a shining object on the chief's belt. A key. Then a smile lit up on his face.

*****

--The Next Day--

"You mean..." Phoenix sighed. "That you have more evidence?"

"Yeah, pal," Gumshoe beamed.

"And you didn't tell me?"

"Well..." The Detective pulled at his shirt and his cheeks flushed red. "I just didn't think they mattered anymore. I mean, I thought the tapes would be enough."

"Well sure, but it would have been nice if you could have told us about this beforehand."

The judge cleared his throat, gaining their attention.

"So is this court right in assuming that there is new evidence to be entered into the court record?"

Sighing thinly, Phoenix nodded.

"Yes your honour. Sadly, this really isn't a surprise anymore."

As Gumshoe handed two officers two small items, a small slip of paper and what looked like a key, the items were brought over to Phoenix who examined them quickly.

"A receipt... and a... key that opens some lock."

He raised an eyebrow at Gumshoe, and the Detective laughed.

"Oh right, well I suppose you'll want to know what happened there."

And so it was that a second cross-examination occurred as Gumshoe recalled his little scavenging of additional evidence the previous day. He stuck mostly to the truth, and decided that it would be alright to omit some things unless asked directly about them. Edgeworth had to ask, however. The frock-wearing, purple-suited prosecutor gave a dismissive flick of his hand.

"So you retrieved the receipt from a bin?"

"That's right, pal."

"And where was this bin located exactly?"

Gumshoe gulped then, realising now that he had to tell the truth. He couldn't lie in a court of law, especially being an officer of the law after all. And it was only then that he felt Costillos' eyes on him, eyes of hatred which burned like Brand's. There was no doubt that these two were as evil as they came.

"Well, it uh... It was in the chief's office."

"Was?" It was clear Edgeworth was enjoying himself; even if he had softened towards Phoenix, he still revelled in his power as a prosecutor.

"Well, pal... You see..."

Phoenix watched his friend as sweat started to pour. He noticed Costillos lean in, smirking as if absorbing Gumshoe's fear. He knew Gumshoe was torn between telling the truth, and helping this case, and that couldn't happen if the evidence wasn't found under fair means or with a warrant.