Chapter 1: Back to Beacon Hills

EMMA'S POV

I sigh as I drop my bags in the hospital room. "Great." I mumble, sitting on the bed. I never thought I would be back. Why should I? I left this town to get better and come back worse than before?

The doctors are saying that I have less than a month left. I look horrible and it doesn't help that they have no idea what the hell is killing me.

That's not the even the scariest part! What the hell am I going to say to Scott? I'm not going to school, so do I just hope to God that he doesn't visit the hospital, where his mother works? And what if she tells him

Uch, why did I have to come back?

A knock at the door draws my attention. I turn my head to see none other than Melissa McCall. "Hey." She says with a smile, walking in.

"Hi." I say shyly, adding a small smile. 

"I didn't think you'd be back." She says, sitting down. 

"Me neither." I laugh, looking down.

"Well, you're in good hands here. I'll be helping you, this time around." She says,

"Oh." Is all I can say.

"I won't tell Scott, if you don't want me to." 

I turn to her, trying to think about what to say. "I-" I stop, not knowing how to respond. "Is he ok?" I ask, unable to stop myself.

She laughs slightly before taking my hands. "He's been busying himself. Studying all the time. He misses you." I smile. "I saw the records. Why haven't they called us?" She asks, referring to my condition. I have them as my emergency contact, so I don't know why the doctors wouldn't have called.

"I'm not sure." I confess. "But, I have a month left to do anything I want." I smile, taking a deep breath. 

Commotion from the hallway makes us both stand. Melissa runs out while I stand in the doorway. I watch as two people are rolled in on beds. 

"Hey, wait a minute." Melissa says, running up to the first bed. "I know this one. What happened, Isaac?" She asks a pain-filled Isaac Lahey. 

"The girl, all right, she's worse, ok?" He whispers. 

"Are you not healing?" Melissa asks as they pass my room. 

"I will. Will you just-- would you just help her, please?" He asks as he is carted away, revealing a girl behind him. 

"Hey, hey, hey, hey, hey, hey, hey, hey." Melissa says, trying to keep her conscious. 

"Find him." The girl mumbles. "I have to find him."

"What are you saying?" Melissa asks. 

"I have to... I have to tell him."

"Who?" Melissa asks as they near my room. 

"The alpha." The girl says. "Find the alpha."

"What do you want with Derek Hale?" Melissa asks, confused.

"No." The girl says. 

"What?" Melissa asks.

"Not Hale." She says as Melissa detaches from her bed. The doctors roll her past my room as I hear her say, "McCall. Scott McCall."

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Why me..." I mumble as Melissa and I walk towards Isaac's room. "I mean, this would just be announcing my return to Beacon Hills. Why tell people if I'm only gonna be here for a month?" I tell myself as we turn the corner.