Epilogue

Demi

The party at Ryan's was emotional for me. I was glad Nick & I had talked & got some things off our chest. I thought a lot about some of the things he said. He had me second guessing my fears of being with him. I was starting to think we could work. I remember watching him leave the party that night with Joe & a few pretty girls & I got so jealous I took it out on Wilmer. I got mad at him, picking a fight. After I saw Nick leave, I got up, quickly, & went to look out the window. I watched him walk with Mollie, her arm intertwined with his. He held the door open for her as she got in the front seat of his Mustang. Joe & the other girls got in the backseat. They were all laughing & my heart was breaking. When Nick got in his car, he looked over at Mollie, smiling & then laughed at something she said. I wanted to die at that moment.

I was so grateful that Nick forgave my momentary case of stupidity. The week I spent away from him after we made love was excruciating. I had people & things to distract me, but I wasn't myself. It was hard to concentrate on anything. I was constantly on the phone with Marissa talking about my feelings & my dilemna with Nick. She was probably pretty sick of me by Friday. 

I remember the last conversation I had with her. I had gotten back to L.A. early Tuesday morning. Marissa was in town & of course was staying at my apartment. I went home to find her asleep on my couch.

I shook Marissa's arm. "Hey. Wake up, sleepyhead. You're drooling on my gorgeous couch."

Marissa sat up & crossed her legs, rubbing her eyes. "Welcome home. I didn't want to miss you coming home, so I slept out here." She smiled groggily at me, then reached for her glasses on the coffee table. She saw the Starbucks cup I sat next to her glasses. "Oh my God, is that for me?"

I nodded & she took a swig. "You're the best friend a girl could ask for." She smiled at me. "So how was Florida?"

I sat next to her. I shrugged. "Okay, I guess. It's Florida. Hard to be unhappy there." I chuckled, half kidding. "But I thought about Nick the entire time."

Marissa's arm went around me & she gave me a squeeze. "Listen. What is the worst that could happen if you started dating Nick?"

I laughed. "Where do I start?"

"No. What is the worst thing?" She let go of me & turned to face me, holding her cup near her face so she could smell it.

I shook my head. "I don't want to think about it." Marissa gave me a look. "Okay, fine. The worst thing would be he would break my heart & we'd never be friends again."

Marissa rolled her eyes. "Well first of all, I honestly don't think Nick would ever break your heart. Second of all, you have other friends." She gave me a big smile. I had to laugh at her. "What would be best case scenario?"

I looked away. My mind wandered to some dreams I had recently. I was marrying Nick, we were having a baby & we lived happily ever after. "We'd grow old together." I was smiling.

Marissa nodded. "That sounds more like it."

I shook my head again. "I'm scared Marissa. I don't want to get hurt. I don't want to lose him."

"Newsflash, D. You've lost him already. He said he didn't want to be friends with you for a while."

I pouted. "I know. Who could blame him? I trampled on his poor heart. I did to him exactly what I thought he'd do to me."

"You can fix it, ya know? Go see him. He's in L.A. right now."

"How do you know that?" I asked, squinting at her, suspiciously.