Chapter 12

Demi

The break from the tour in September was very welcomed. I think I handled the Jashley thing quite well. I wasn't jealous of Ashley or hurt by Joe, I was actually more upset because Joe was Nick's brother. This made me think of how it would be if Nick & I ever got together & then broke up. Nick's friendship was a safe place for me so I never wanted to not have it. We could never be more than friends & when that revelation came to me I would pop a pill. It hurt a lot to think about Nick loving another woman. I would have nightmares that I was at Nick's wedding to someone else. The bride never had a face but it didn't matter. I was heartbroken no matter who it was. I was so in love with him & couldn't do anything about it. I dated his brother. He dated my friends. And if any of that didn't matter, I never wanted to risk our friendship. I knew I had to keep that friendship sacred. Losing him was not an option.

One day in late September, I decided to drop by Nick's new apartment. He had gotten an apartment in Los Angeles earlier that year & it was being decorated & renovated while we had been on tour. I hadn't seen it since it was finished. To enter the building you needed a passcode & Nick had given it to me a few days before. We were planning on having dinner one evening that week. I knew he was home since I talked to him the night before & he said he wasn't leaving until the afternoon. It was late morning & I knocked on his door.

After a few minutes, Nick opened the door, smiling, wearing sweatpants & no shirt. Jesus. I could hardly handle his naked chest & bare arms. His hair was a mess, flat on one side. It looked like he just got out of bed. He seemed surprised to see me. "Demi. Hey."

"Hi

"Hi. I was in the area & realized I hadn't seen your place since it was finished."

Nick looked around nervously. He opened the door more so I could walk in. "Oh... yea. Um... sorry I'm not dressed. Samantha & I just got up." That's when I realized he was probably smiling at something she said when he opened the door.

My heart sank. My stomach started to turn. He was in bed with Samantha. Did they have sex? I took a deep breath to keep from throwing up. "Oh my God, I'm sorry Nick. I didn't know Samantha was here." I started to back up toward the door. Suddenly, Samantha appeared in the hall where I could see her. She was walking toward us. She had on jeans & a white tee shirt. He hair was pulled into a messy ponytail.