Chapter 26

Demi 

It was really hard to sleep, knowing Nick was just down the hall. I wanted to go lay in bed with him, feel his arms around me. I felt safe in his arms. I would surely fall asleep then. I refrained, however. I didn't want to ruin our day together if he was weirded out by me crawling into his bed. I fell asleep eventually & dreamed of Nick. My dream wasn't a good one. In my dream, I told Nick I was in love with him & he laughed & then patted the top of my head & said, "One more girl telling me they love me. That's cute." What if that is how he reacted? I mean he gets girls telling him they love him all the time. I woke up with a bad feeling & hoped this feeling would go away. I was suddenly overcome with fear. I was so afraid Nick would reject me. I got up & took a shower. 

After I showered & got dressed in comfy clothes, I headed to my kitchen. Nick's door was still closed when I passed it, so I figured he was still sleeping. When I got to the kitchen, Nick was there, leaning on my counter, playing with his phone. There were bagels & pastries on a plate beside him, along with two Starbucks cups. He looked so hot with his back muscles facing me, taunting me through his tight shirt. His bicep was flexed as he held his phone. He seemed oblivious that I was there so I cleared my throat. He jumped, stood up straight & turned toward me, smiling. He was wearing khaki shorts & a white sleeveless tee shirt. God, he looked amazing in white, with his dark features & tan skin. 

I walked to the counter & saw one of the cups with my name on it. I picked it up & looked up at him. "Is this for me?" I asked, smiling. 

"I don't know another Demi." He grabbed his cup & took a drink. "Green iced tea, right?" 

"You remembered?" I was surprised. We hadn't had Starbucks together in forever. 

"Of course." He shrugged like it was the most basic thing. "I got some bagels & pastries, too, since I'm not much of a chef. Besides, I don't know where any of your kitchen stuff is." He laughed. 

"It's a veg out day, so pastries & bagels are just what I need." I took a sip of my tea. Not sure if it was because Nick bought it for me, but this was the best tea I had ever had from Starbucks. "You must have gotten up early." 

"Not too early. I got up about 9. It's almost eleven, Love." He watched me out of the corner of his eyes as he took another swig of his drink. "You sure did sleep in." 

I leaned my back on the counter. "I needed that." 

"Yea, we all need that once in awhile." Nick leaned on the counter beside me. Our arms were touching. "So what's on the agenda today, D?" 

"Whatever we want." I smiled at the floor. My thoughts were suddenly turning dirty. I imagined making love to Nick all day long. I felt myself getting warm when I thought about never leaving my bed. I could spend all day feeling him touch me, kiss me or hold me. I snapped myself out of my R rated dream. "What do you want to do?" 

Nick's face turned serious. "Um. Let's just roll with it. First, we'll take our carbs & our Starbucks out on your terrace & enjoy this beautiful day with each other." He gave me a wink & a smile as he grabbed both of our drinks. 

"That sounds awesome." I grabbed the plate of carbs & headed to my terrace. Nick pulled out my chair & then sat beside me. There were four chairs, so the fact that he sat beside me was a good sign. Signs... I would be looking for them all day. 

Nick & I talked & laughed while we ate & finished our drinks. We could absolutely talk about anything & everything. He really was my best friend. If we started to date, would it always be like this? Would things change between us? We have never disagreed or argued really. I don't count the time I said nasty things to him because that wasn't the real me. We always seem to be on the same page whenever we were together. I suddenly got scared that it wouldn't be like this if we were together as a couple. My mind was going to piss me off. It wouldn't shut up. My brain kept thinking of the 'what if's,' while my heart just wanted Nick.