"Anything happen at school yesterday?" I asked, trying to sound interested in school, even if it was the farthest thing from my mind.

"Nope," Sawyer answered.

"Just missing you," Alivia added quietly, looking at me for the first time that morning.

I returned her gentle, solemn gaze, taking her hand slowly. She wrapped her fingers around mine, sending a warmth up my arm. My gaze flickered to her fingers, which seemed to calm me, bring me back to earth from the silence.

In an instant, it felt like we were at the school, climbing out, walking in. Alivia's hand remained in mine, for which I was very grateful. My backpack weighed on my shoulders as I entered the building, well aware that a majority of the people were staring at me and the large bruise on my face. I kept my eyes on the ground as she led me through the crowd to our lockers.

We stopped at my locker, Sawyer staying with us the whole time. I smiled weakly at them and began to load up my book bag.

"Tin, welcome back!" a voice sneered behind me.

I turned, expecting to see Shelly, but it was Marcus and Jimmy. The two of them looked more deceiving than ever with fake smiles and partially concerned expressions.

"Hey," I said halfheartedly.

"Didn't know if you were coming back, we've heard some things," Jimmy remarked.

"Why would you care if I came back?" I asked.

"We don't," Marcus cut in, rolling his eyes. "Just wondering when you're going to come crawling back to us."

"Wh... What do you mean?" I yawned, too tired to try and think it through.

"I mean, are you really having the time of your life being this Christian person you're not?" Jimmy stated.

"Yes," I immediately answered, trying not to care or be offended. "I am a Christian person." I didn't have any energy to take the argument further, so I just raised my eyebrows.

They looked at a loss for words, so I walked away. I was beginning to question my judgement for coming here in the first place. How in the world did I think I could do this? Face Shelly and Ace and everyone else? It was one thing to go to the Olsons for help, but it was a whole other concept to actually pull myself together and stay here for seven hours.

I exhaled slowly, making my way up the hall with Alivia following behind me. Sawyer had somehow gotten lost in the crowd, probably greeting some of his friends. That made me feel a bit more relieved that I wasn't dragging someone down with me.

"Fletcher," Alivia said softly, "look."

I snapped my eyes up to where she was indicating and saw Pearl's head bobbing up and down in the moving crowd. For a moment, I froze, keeping my gaze locked on her. For some reason, I found it odd that she was there. I suppose school would be one of the only places where she could escape. I began weaving through people, in and out, pulling Alivia behind me.

A breath rose in my throat. I didn't realize the emotion that would come with seeing my sister here.

"Pearl!" I exclaimed over the crowd, trying to get her attention. "Pearl!"

Her face turned in my direction. Instantly, she spotted me, surprise registering on her face as well.

She pushed her way to me, not bothering to apologize when dirty looks were thrown in her direction. I reached her at the corner of the hallway and swept her into a hug. I didn't care who saw or what they thought. They didn't know me, and I didn't know them. We all have our own steps to take.