Page Cannot Be Displayed - 17

Lame assorted arcade games lined the walls of the room Elliot had just taken you to. Fully functioning arcade games that looked like they should have been apart of the outdoor carnival however they were hidden away in a small room surrounded outside by anything but bright lights and happiness.

A small concession-like area had been set up clearly for the whoever occupied this space along with Elliot. Surely, you thought, he wasn't the only one to use this room.

Taking a few steps from the doorway, your attention had immediately been taken to the very middle of the room that became home to a few folding tables holding heavily wired computers that all seemed to be functioning properly.

"What is this place?" you finally asked taking in the art of the computers that managed to impress you so heavily. That set up seemed like it had only existed in your dreams and quickly put your one computer back at the apartment to shame.

"I should probably explain some things first before telling you where exactly we are." Elliot answered a bit hesitantly. He seemed unsure of himself with his words as if he had been having an internal struggle.

The  room fell silent after he spoke allowing the arcade game music to play idly in the background hoping to attract a player to take their hard earned money.

A few moments of the silence had passed before anxiousness took over your body making you turn on your heel to face Elliot who had his eyes to the ground heavy in thought.

"Tell me everything." you told him gently knowing the that wrong word or tone could easily set him off for whatever he was thinking about.

Your heart raced wildly as you almost certainly knew what he was about to say. You had seen this kind of set up in the movies or on television. This wasn't just an ordinary gaming set up for a couple of friends to get away from their significant others for a while. No this was the home to a group of...

"Hackers..." Elliot spoke up with one word as his eyes stayed glued to the hard ground. His hands dug deep into his black hoodie pockets as if he had been protecting himself for what your reaction might be.

It was all starting to make sense as Elliot had said that one word that describe your life so perfectly. Though you respected the privacy of others you had basically stolen thousands of dollars from a large text book company and distributed it to the public. It was safe to say you were a modern day Robin Hood.

"Okay..." you breathed in for a moment before carefully speaking. "What or I guess who exactly do you hack?"

"Everyone." he answered shortly again with his hood up high around his head. "I hack everyone."

"Have you hacked me?" you quickly asked before you had enough time to properly think about what would be appropriate to say in this situation. If he had, which again you were sure you knew the answer to, he would know about your online activity. Though if he didn't...well it was pointless to even consider that.

"Yes. When Angela first told me you were moving here." he spoke a bit lower as if he had been hoping that didn't come across as creepy as the action really was. "I couldn't help myself. And it didn't take me long to figure out that you had a different password for every account you have."

For some reason his words stung managing to hit you in the heart as you suddenly felt ashamed for two reasons. One that he was so easily able to hack you making you not as strong as you had once believed. And two he knew everything about you even the private parts in emails and forums that you had logged into.

"Okay..." you choked out waiting to hear about the textbook situation. His and now your place of work had been hired to find the person or persons behind the attack though they were unable to find where it was coming from despite Elliot being in charge of the case. "Why?"

"Why?" he repeated shifting his eyes from the floor back to yours as now you both were in a less intense staring contest.

"Why didn't you tell your boss who was behind the McGraw-Hill attack?" you voice rose more than you had wanted it too and shook along with each word. It was pointless to avoid that elephant in the room.

Elliot's facial expression changed quickly and drastically with your question. From a bit of shame to shock he wasted no time with his explanation.

"I knew it was you quickly than I hoped." he started quickly. "But I wiped any evidence I could find that traced back to you. You're doing an amazing thing and I will never let anyone catch you no matter what you're doing online."

It was funny how in one moment your heart could be aching at the thought of possible drama but in the next it cold be completely healed with just a few sentences.

"I know what it's like." he spoke up again catching your attention from your thoughts. "To be doing things considered illegal. That's what this room is. We're a group of people trying to change the world."

His eyes were wide perfectly exposing how beautiful they truly were as they watched you carefully waiting for any kind of reaction or slight movement. In this moment you had never felt closer to anyone including Angela. You had met someone who understood what it was like to lay awake at night thinking about computer related problems and wondering what was happening in the online world while you were living in reality.

"Make love to me." you quickly demanded. "Right here and now."

Elliot's breathing began heavier as he wasted no time rushing toward you pulling you close to his body.

~~~To be continued~~~