Chapter 15- Suffering (Fred)

Start from the beginning

I wanted to stop Bellatrix. I wanted to tell her everything I knew about Harry. But I couldn't. Ava had managed this long without letting any information slip from her mouth. I would do the same.

"Nothing, Weasel?" Bellatrix hissed, "I can make it worse!"

I gulped, glancing at her quickly, "I wouldn't betray him like that."

She rolled her eyes and cast another spell on Ava. This one seemed to be more powerful, and Ava's scream finally began to fill the room.

I shook my head. I wanted it to stop. I didn't want to see her in pain.

Suddenly the door to the room flew open, and a small rat-like man was standing there nervously.

"Excuse me," He spoke quietly, "I'm sorry to interrupt-"

"Can't you see I'm busy, Wormtail?" Bellatrix shouted, causing him to step back into the shadows slightly.

"I'm afraid that the Dark Lord has sent a message. He requires an urgent meeting now." Wormtail stuttered.

Bellatrix seemed to freeze, and she spun around with a smile, "The Dark Lord requires our presence? Well then! We must meet him at once!"

She turned to face me, "I'll be back to deal with you later, Weasel. As for you, Potter...." Bellatrix raised her wand and the screaming stopped. Ava's body slumped just before a set of ropes appeared around her hands and legs, tying her to a chair beside her.

Without a second glance back at us, Bellatrix and the other Death Eaters left the room, slamming the door behind them.

It was eerily silent without Ava's screams to fill the room, and I wanted to say something- but I didn't know what to say.

In the distance, I heard a set of footsteps. They seemed to be getting louder. I gulped anxiously, wondering if Bellatrix was coming back to finish us off.

The door to the room opened, and Draco Malfoy walked in. I started to shout.

"You little git! What are you doing here? What the hell-?"

Ava started to mumble something in protest, but I didn't stop as Draco walked towards me, pulling his wand out of his pocket.

"Are you going to kill me, Malfoy? You snivelling coward-"

I yelped in surprise as the ropes restraining my hands were loosened and I fell to the ground. I pulled myself up quickly, and watched as Malfoy stormed over to Ava and loosened her ropes as well.

She stood up slowly, wincing at the pain from the Cruciatus curse, and turned to face me.

I couldn't stop myself as I ran towards her, enveloping her in a hug.

"Ava- it's you. It's really you! I thought I'd lost you-"

She made a groaning noise, and I loosened my grip on her, pulling back to study her face. Her face looked quite difficult to read, but I could see the smallest hint of a smile. There also seemed to be something else in her eyes- fear.

"Come on," Malfoy interrupted, "Let's get you out of here."

He marched towards the door, beckoning for us to follow. Ava grabbed onto my hand and pulled me along quickly.

"There is a secret passage by the back. Make your way out and then Apparate to safety," Malfoy spoke quickly, "There are particular wards set up around the house that prevent Apparation."

Ava still hadn't said anything, and I wanted to ask her a thousand questions- but I knew it wasn't right.

Malfoy pulled a bookshelf away from the wall and gestured for us to enter the passageway. We ran in quickly, and as the door closed behind us and we were immersed in darkness, I reached for my wand reflexively. When I realised that my pockets were empty, I swore.

"What is it?" Ava asked quietly.

"My- my wand-" I started to say, but Malfoy cut me off.

"Do you think I'm stupid, Weasley? I took the courtesy of 'looking after' your wand for Bellatrix. It's here."

I felt him press it into my palm, and I instantly felt calmer.

"Thank you," I muttered quietly, not sure of what else I could possibly say.

My wand lit up the tunnel, and I began to lead the way, with Ava behind me and Malfoy at the back. It was quiet, and the echo of our footsteps sounded oddly eerie.

"How did you do it?" Ava asked Malfoy as we walked.

"With much difficulty," He muttered, "I had to use Imperio on Wormtail, and then just before he left I had to Obliviate him so he wouldn't remember that it was me who cursed him."

I raised my eyebrows in surprise- it seemed so wrong to think that Draco Malfoy was helping us to escape. It made no sense. He was supposed to be a Death Eater.

After a few minutes, we reached an old wooden door. I unlocked it with my wand and shoved it open with my shoulder.

The light that came from outside caused me to squint to allow my eyes to adjust. I stepped out quickly, allowing Malfoy and Ava to follow me.

"We should get out of here," I muttered to Ava, but Malfoy reached forwards.

"I can't let you do that." He started to say, "It would be far too obvious that you had help if both of you managed to get out."

I frowned, "You git- you only ever think about yourself, don't you, Malfoy? We need to get Ava to safety-"

Ava started to shake her head, and she reached out for my hand, "Fred... he's right."

My eyes widened, "What are you talking about? You can't stay here any longer, Ava!"

She looked at me with a sigh, "I've managed to last this long. And we can't allow Draco to get into trouble for being involved. We can trust him for now, Fred. He knows exactly how everything works here, and after he's just saved you, we can't both leave knowing that he'll most probably die. Also, if we leave together, they'll send out twice as many Death Eaters to search for us."

I felt something in my heart twist. I knew that Draco and Ava had been close in the past, and that she had cared about him. Had she grown to care for him again?

"Fred, I..." Ava trailed off, as if she didn't know what to say, and before I could argue she rushed forwards and kissed me.

It took me by surprise, but I didn't hesitate as I leant into the kiss and wrapped my arms around her. I tried to pour everything that I felt into it so that Ava would know how much I truly missed her.

She pulled away slightly, resting her forehead against mine as she whispered, "I'll find a way to escape. Just not now, Fred. I'm- I'm sorry."

I glanced up at Malfoy, who was staring at the floor coldly. It was difficult to read his expression- he had often been able to conceal his emotions well.

"We- we're staying at Muriel's," I whispered to Ava, "We're in hiding there. If you get out, come straight there."

In the distance, there was a bang followed by a loud shout. Malfoy lurched into action.

"We have to go. They've realised that it was a false meeting."

I nodded quickly, forcing myself to let go of Ava.

"I'll see you soon," I gulped, and she nodded quickly.

"I hope so," She smiled, "Until then, keep yourself out of trouble, Fred."

I watched as she and Malfoy ran back towards the secret passage before I closed my eyes and Apparated away, leaving Ava behind once again.