FORTY SEVEN

My first impression of Derek Burns as a bit of a jerk proved to be correct.

I came to this conclusion when I entered the training room the next morning – prepared for our practice match and was – without warning – immediately grabbed around the neck and choked.

I reeled backwards, my hands instinctively flying up to my throat; but my fingertips didn't touch a garrotte, or a strangler's fingers. It was a ribbon of shard – smooth, buzzing – and absolutely repellent to the touch.

My hands jerked back as though it was red hot, unable to bear the proximity. But I couldn't get away from the part that was fixed around my neck like a manacle. Though it wasn't tightening anymore, just its presence against my skin was enough to make me feel as though I was suffocating. I could feel it humming against my neck at a frequency utterly alien to me – nauseating, breaking me apart – shuddering through my thoughts. I could barely take a full a breath, my throat closing up with nausea and panic.

This is why Wakers never touch another's shard. It's repellent – horrific, impossible to willingly sustain for more than a second.

I gagged, and forced my shard to spread across my hand like a thin glove. I reached up, and used my coated hand to grab hold of manacle-shard – attempting to pull it away from my skin.

"Won't work," called Derek's deceptively pleasant tenor voice. "I have six shards. You only have one."

I ignored him, and tried to slip my shard-covered fingers under the manacle – but couldn't. It was too tight; and six times stronger than mine.

"Fuck it all, I didn't know we were doing a surprise attack," announced a familiar voice from behind me. "Why does no one tell me these things? Teamwork, inter-departmental teamwork, that's what we need. This is why you're called Team Asshole, you know. No communication."

Zoe's strong hands fastened on my shoulders, and propelled me further into the room. My own hands dropped from my neck. I could barely walk. I felt my body shutting down – losing co-ordination. My knees were weak. I felt my shard crumble into tiny pieces in my fingers, and fall to the ground. I held onto one fragment grimly. Without it, I was powerless. I was so dizzy – so flooded with the dreadful sensation of Derek's shard – that I could barely see.

The big, dark blob shifting restlessly against a pillar on the other side of the room was probably Jake. Despite being nearly blind with nausea, I could feel his disapproving glare from where I stood. He was probably preparing a lecture.

The slumped, motionless figure next to him was Rao. He was probably still asleep. The small, bouncing person standing between Jake and Rao was Paige. From where I was standing – or swaying – it looked as though Jake had his hand on her head – holding her still.

Two other, slightly less familiar figures – Hikaru and Renata – stood behind the coppery blur that was Derek.

Zoe gave me a companionable smack on the shoulder that nearly knocked me down. "Well, Noodles – this is educational. Now you know that you should never let Derek sneak attack you. He's our Hound-catcher. He pops this nasty little collar on naughty Wakers – and it takes them out. Most of them can't even stand when he's put it on them. So, congratulations on remaining upright. Unless ..." she stepped away from me, and I stumbled, folding to kneel unsteadily on the ground. "Uh, oh." Zoe finished. "I guess not."

I took a deep breath, trying very hard not to collapse completely. Or vomit.

"Well, fuck you. She's not a Hound," said Paige. "So don't treat her like one. I thought we'd gone over this shit already!" She attempted to take a step forward, and I saw Jake's arm move as he kept her in place.